Rib sizes

WinchesterDave

Ive never really given the subject much consideration; but what is the purpose of the different widths of rib? 6mm for game 10mm for sporters?

I used by B525 Sporter with a 10mil rib on game, is it just personal preference or is there a genuine reason?

I've been shooting for 6 years now and would like to know why haha!

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by WinchesterDave

So general consensus.... There isn't a genuine reason... More a sales technique and/or personal preference....16mm bet that looked weird...

Not sure but held a High rib gun the other day - you know the ones they all seem to use in the olympics.... Didn't feel normal whatsoever but it was certainly interesting to mount one and I guess you could get used to it

I had a 101 broad rib 16mm and really liked it

Whats point in a stepd rib?

Not sure about raised ribs but when I've held Benellis I did actually like it... Edited by WinchesterDave

There is a genuine reason as per my post, the last thing you want is a heat haze eminating from the barrels, the broad rib is to help disapate this excess heat , many people don't look down the rib, I do, but the heat haze would be there if you looked down it or not , this is why the vast majority of modern guns have ventilated ribs be it wide or narrow

Edited by sishyplops

Heat haze is a reason often given. In 40 years shooting, sometimes when on a clays flush with very hot barrels I've never had a problem. My guns include s/s and 'game' o/u - which has quite a narrow rib. I agree it may be an issue with pre-mounted, but for me the gun mounting is part of the swing for the shot and I never pre-mount. I can see on a trap gun, where pre-mounting is the norm it might be an issue.