Neighbours and spare keys

buze

You can never tell with FEOs. Mine wasn`t happy that when I was at work there was no one in the house and the guns would be unattended. It didn`t matter that the guns were locked up. A completely ridiculous thing to say imo.

If he doesn`t ask don`t volunteer the information and if he does you have two choices. Either tell him your arrangements or tell him that you don`t feel it has any relevance to you being issued an SGC as you will be the only one with access to the cabinet. If you feel he`s pressuring you then tell him you would like to discuss it with your BaSC representative first.

My FEO wasn't thrilled at the idea of my elderly father being in the house while I was working in Italy. He considered it possible that he might angle grind the door and shoot someone in a senior moment.

Those of us who advise caution are not necessarily stupid......

My FEO wasn't thrilled at the idea of my elderly father being in the house while I was working in Italy. He considered it possible that he might angle grind the door and shoot someone in a senior moment.

That would be quite a senior moment.

I never said it was stupid, I said it was ridiculous. It doesn`t matter if you`re single or married, at some point the guns will be left in the house unattended. That`s why we have cabinets.

I didn`t take any issue when he insisted on extra security on my windows. I did however object when he wanted me to store my guns elsewhere.

That would be quite a senior moment.

I never said it was stupid, I said it was ridiculous. It doesn`t matter if you`re single or married, at some point the guns will be left in the house unattended. That`s why we have cabinets.

I didn`t take any issue when he insisted on extra security on my windows. I did however object when he wanted me to store my guns elsewhere.

Sorry, didn't make it clear I was agreeing with you. Some FEOs see things in a way that can be unexpected. IMHO better to err on the side of caution when non- family access to house keys is concerned. Edited by Glenlivet

Sorry, didn't make it clear I was agreeing with you. Some FEOs see things in a way that can be unexpected. IMHO better to err on the side of caution when non- family access to house keys is concerned.

Ah np Glenlivet. It wasn`t really clear (at least not to me) and as my only encounter with an FEO was a less than pleasant experience I may be slightly prone to "going off on one" when I talk about it. :blush::lol:

No, but perhaps your FEO is by making such a suggestion. I would have been quite annoyed at that suggestion in the same circumstances.

No, but perhaps your FEO is by making such a suggestion. I would have been quite annoyed at that suggestion in the same circumstances.

Politely argued my corner, pointed out that in 30+ years of having a license neither me or my father had shot or caused to be shot anyone. Licence dropped on doormat 3 days later.....

I wouldn't think they'd be too pleased with that arrangement.

I don't see a problem in terms of your FAC although I guess you will have shotgun shells that aren't locked away, I don't know if that might be a problem. But I am surprised you are comfortable with your neighbours having keys to your house! Each to their own :)

I don't see a problem in terms of your FAC although I guess you will have shotgun shells that aren't locked away, I don't know if that might be a problem. But I am surprised you are comfortable with your neighbours having keys to your house! Each to their own :)

Depends where in the country you are, doesn't it. Buze is in Powys, which has one of the lowest crime rates in the country, and (I think) one of the highest on various happiness / quality of life indexes.

I'n in rural North Wales, know everyone that lives within about a mile of me, if not by name, then definitely by car. We all keep an eye out on a house if someone is away, or help out (I was looking after someone's horse last weekend).

My wife's family couldn't find the house keys when her grandfather went into hospital (about 10 years ago). So a few days later, when he was feeling a bit better, they asked him where they were. "Keys ? I lost them 30 years ago !", was the reply.

I don't see a problem in terms of your FAC although I guess you will have shotgun shells that aren't locked away, I don't know if that might be a problem.

Why on earth would it be a problem ?!?!?

I don't remember being asked anything about keys for the house or otherwise?

Depends where in the country you are, doesn't it. Buze is in Powys, which has one of the lowest crime rates in the country, and (I think) one of the highest on various happiness / quality of life indexes.

I'n in rural North Wales, know everyone that lives within about a mile of me, if not by name, then definitely by car. We all keep an eye out on a house if someone is away, or help out (I was looking after someone's horse last weekend).

My wife's family couldn't find the house keys when her grandfather went into hospital (about 10 years ago). So a few days later, when he was feeling a bit better, they asked him where they were. "Keys ? I lost them 30 years ago !", was the reply.

That! All the people around look for each others, it's a very small close knit community; for example the church caretaker lives in the house next door and often leaves a traffic cone in front of our house when he knows we come back at night, so we can park there instead of down the road. As a return I pay the local pub for his weekly 1/2 Guinness! That's that kind of neighborhood. It ALSO looked a bit strange when we moved in here, coming from the south, but now it feels perfectly normal.