Berlin - cheap flights and places worth a visit?

djrwood

After travelling to Berlin for the Christmas markets last year, I must say I loved the place. Went with the family and therefore didn't get to drag my wife, mum and sister round the main war sites for too long, although did have a few hours in there with my dad and brother in law. I could literally spend all day walking around these sites and museums.

For that reason, I've just booked up to take my dad for his birthday this May. I couldn't quite believe it, return flights bought from Luton to Berlin for £45/person. The taxi to the airport would cost double that!

Following on from the thread I made before Christmas, any advice on sites to visit would be appreciated. I am looking in to flying to Krakow for the day so we can see Auschwitz. Think the camp at Oranianburg will be more likely the place to go though, based on the price of flights to Krakow that I've seen so far. Train to Auschwitz is about 10 hours so not going to do that.

Don't mind travelling a couple of hours outside of Berlin if anyone knows of something decent to do. This doesn't have to be war related!

Thanks in advance

I can usually spend 3 or 4 days in the city at a leisurely pace, love it.

Kadawe food hall (have lunch there)

Checkpoint Charlie museum

Gleinike bridge

Sachsenhausen conc. camp

Telefurnstrum tower

etc

Been to most European capitals got to be my favourite.

I lived in Berlin for 2 years just before the wall came down. I loved it so much that I try to visit as much as possible. Indeed I was over on a motorbike tour last year in the summer. I would recommend every thing that has been mentioned and would also add: the Blue Church at the bottom of the Kurfustendam, then walk up to the turn to the right heading down Leibniz Strasse 57 and visit Klo's and have a few beers in one of the craziest pubs I have ever been in (does not open until 1900). Take a boat trip on the Havel and see all the sight from there. Visit Gatow airport, not far from Kladow (used to be RAF Gatow) which is now a military aircraft museum. There are various Military monuments the Russian one just along from the Brandenburg gate which was the only place where the Russians were allowed to carry arms (other than when it was their turn to guard Hess in Spandua) in the west sector of Berlin. 17 Juni Strasse and go up the tower but aviod it at night as it becomes quite lively with the ladies of the night, LOL. The British war graves cemetery on the Heere Strasse is also a great place to visit. If you have time get one of the hop on hop off City Bus Tours as you can spend the whole day getting round the city getting off when something is of interest to you.

I would also recommend Auschwitz but as you say it does take a bit to get there and if you want to visit both sites you do need a whole day to get round it all. I have to admit the visit did put me on a downer for the rest of that evening though. I hope you have a great trip.

I lived in Berlin for 2 years just before the wall came down. I loved it so much that I try to visit as much as possible. Indeed I was over on a motorbike tour last year in the summer. I would recommend every thing that has been mentioned and would also add: the Blue Church at the bottom of the Kurfustendam, then walk up to the turn to the right heading down Leibniz Strasse 57 and visit Klo's and have a few beers in one of the craziest pubs I have ever been in (does not open until 1900). Take a boat trip on the Havel and see all the sight from there. Visit Gatow airport, not far from Kladow (used to be RAF Gatow) which is now a military aircraft museum. There are various Military monuments the Russian one just along from the Brandenburg gate which was the only place where the Russians were allowed to carry arms (other than when it was their turn to guard Hess in Spandua) in the west sector of Berlin. 17 Juni Strasse and go up the tower but aviod it at night as it becomes quite lively with the ladies of the night, LOL. The British war graves cemetery on the Heere Strasse is also a great place to visit. If you have time get one of the hop on hop off City Bus Tours as you can spend the whole day getting round the city getting off when something is of interest to you.

I would also recommend Auschwitz but as you say it does take a bit to get there and if you want to visit both sites you do need a whole day to get round it all. I have to admit the visit did put me on a downer for the rest of that evening though. I hope you have a great trip.

+1

Was detached to RAF Gatow in 1970. The Blue Church (in the evening) and the Checkpoint Charlie Museum are a must. Have to agree, that Auschwitz (and also Belsen) can ruin the rest of your day.