OFF SEASON PLANS AND PROJECTS.

TONY R

Coming up to the end of the season and thoughts turn to what i want to do regarding wildfowling in any spare time i might have.

The usual tidy up the decoys and the boat, and a little more interesting i have a few reloads i want to work on a little, and will be geting a third ten bore an SxS mainly so the kids can use one if they want to they have used the Tens a fair bit this year.

WHAT CHANGES PLANS OR PROJECTS HAVE YOU IN MIND FOR NEXT YEAR?.

I have been thinking for a while now about making 6 or 8 mallard nest tubes to try out. I have been trying to think of a place to put them that will not have anglers to disturb them, most lochs near me have trout in them and a fair few anglers that visit pretty regular. The main loch where most fowl would be have two protected areas for fowl and waders that the RSPB own and there is no anglers or shooters allowed.....perfect, or so I thought. I got in touch with a local RSPB warden and friend and let her know what I was planning and to seek permission. She got back to me and said that she had been in touch with her bosses and they had said that they were very interested to hear how I get on with the nest tubes but they didn't want them on their reserves. I am a bit miffed to be honest. There has always been a good relationship between the local RSPB and local shooters so I don't think its because I am a shooter. I guess I will just try it some place else. Anyone on here made nest tubes?

Edited by aister

I have been thinking for a while now about making 6 or 8 mallard nest tubes to try out. I have been trying to think of a place to put them that will not have anglers to disturb them, most lochs near me have trout in them and a fair few anglers that visit pretty regular. The main loch where most fowl would be have two protected areas for fowl and waders that the RSPB own and there is no anglers or shooters allowed.....perfect, or so I thought. I got in touch with a local RSPB warden and friend and let her know what I was planning and to seek permission. She got back to me and said that she had been in touch with her bosses and they had said that they were very interested to hear how I get on with the nest tubes but they didn't want them on their reserves. I am a bit miffed to be honest. There has always been a good relationship between the local RSPB and local shooters so I don't think its because I am a shooter. I guess I will just try it some place else. Anyone on here made nest tubes?

Rspb tend towards a dislike of them

I think it's because they don't like common fowl like mallard much? Well that or they don't like the fact that Wildfowlers are getting good results and great pr from them

My firmske them but they are easy to make yourself ( just make sure and avoid wooden poles as vermin can climb them) and put them near to rushes etc were the duckling can pop straight out and feed ( prevailing winds towards that shore best)

Keeping my fingers crossed that The Memsahib will be back on her feet by next season and that I will still be fit enough to go.

Can't leave her on her own at the moment. Difficult to get a wife sitter to come in at 03.00 hours!

Usually manage about 40 - 50 trips but this season I only got two and a half. Fired two shots and missed. Not much of a season I'm afraid.

Still, I live in hope.

I am worried that I will have s goose season next year. Local white settlers that have moved into the area have set up a petition to ban shooting. Local minister has taken a video of goose shooting and its on youtube as propaganda to the cause. Check out Findhorn geese on youtube. What a load of eco mulch!!!

Like Kent I am on the look out for a new 8-12 month old pup as Meg my black lab will be starting her 10th season next year and already she is showing signs of slowing down. I am looking for a golden retriever , but most of the ones I have been looking at are way out of my price bracket so I guess its going to be a lab. After next month ( when I hope to get a bit of pigeon shooting in ) I do not have much time for any other projects as I will be working 7 days a week until next September.

My season now end the last day of January , in February I go out of wildfowling mode and move into pigeon mode and by March most of my time is spent Pigeon decoying and this carry on till around the end of September , also this year I will be spending a fair bit of time training my new Lab pup to be ready for this years season which I now start sometime in October.

Another one A? A Lab?

I could well be picking up a cocker soon for Lady Penelope, going down to Devon next weekend to look at a litter.

For me the same, continue with the training of my Lab bitch and rejoining my old club.

I will be kept busy finishing up the training of my new pup and starting the training of another !

Edited by Penelope

Another one A? A Lab?

I could well be picking up a cocker soon for Lady Penelope, going down to Devon next weekend to look at a litter.

For me the same, continue with the training of my Lab bitch and rejoining my old club.

Crikey , there must be some decent cockers closer than devon !

Yes another Lab , its only coming to me for training though not to keep long term .

I know a fowler who is keen on them their dogs. How much is too much?

I am hoping to get a golden close to £500 , but it will be a question of waiting for a dog to come on the market at that price. There is no major hurry as Meg still has a full season in her before retirement. However by getting a golden retriever now it gives me 18 months to train her up. Otherwise it will have to be a lab. I have had both breeds in the past , both do the job well , but there is something about the looks and character of a golden retriever I love. Their retrieving can I guess it can be summed up in one word, style. The going rate is around £750 - £1000 for a 3 month old pup, which is above my price bracket at the moment as I also need a new gun before next season and have to find £000s for shooting rights ( having a wildfowl shoot with its own sizable pink foot roost does not come cheap ) , plus club fees of £350+ so money will be a bit tight for the next 6 months.

Edited by anser2

Ahh.

Well I will end up spending 6-650 on a lab puppy no good pups is cheap now

Just thought on because I have a contact but I just thought they might be massive amounts more than a well bred lab which only a short while back were half the money of today

There are plenty of "good cheap pups" my last one was £400 all health checked , jabs , excellent pedigree with the breeder having both parents and it even has the proper double coat you so desire.

There are plenty of "good cheap pups" my last one was £400 all health checked , jabs , excellent pedigree with the breeder having both parents and it even has the proper double coat you so desire.

It could be regional but last time round all the 350 - 450 stuff I saw was rubbish

How do they sit in the water? Do you need to weight them?

Post some pics if you can.

They sit ok in the bath so far :yes:

I will need to take them out and try them properly, i will try them while i am out fishing and i will take pics, there are some pics of the first ones i tried in the craft section of the forum.

For weighting them i am using a section of composite decking and pinning and gluing it to the base

As for making them i am following the instruction from this you tube film

Edited by greenergp

I shall be flat outworking all summer till the end of October. . So I can have the winter off again. ..

top man . this is the first year in the last five that iv ended up working all winter totally ******** me fowling up but I will be making up for it next season :shoot: don't think I will get close to your bag return thou :whistling: lol

Edited by UK fowler

top man . this is the first year in the last five that iv ended up working all winter totally ******** me fowling up but I will be making up for it next season :shoot: don't think I will get close to your bag return thou :whistling: lol

I bet you will , I have seen his bag return , 4 ducks and one goose for 632 shots , its been like shooting with Stevie Wonder at times this season :whistling: