Fly Fishing - Droppers

wymberley

Went online to check the opening times of a certain fishery and while at it looked at their rules. They ban droppers. I had no idea of what these were so had a search and found out. Can anyone tell me what is the idea behind them - which in turn might explain why it was considered necessary to ban them? They also insist on barbed hooks for catch and kill and again I know not why. Could this be to prevent a quick return to the water of an unwanted fish?

Sorry for the novice type questions.

Many thanks.

They probably ban droppers because if a fish snaps you off i will be dragging another fly around with it which could lead to it getting hung up on a snag or another fish might take the trailing fly, then you end up with 2 fish getting hung up and possibly dying

This :good: droppers allow you to fish more than 1 fly at the same time ​

You'll generally have a couple of little buzzers on the drop with a larger fly at the end. Very effective but only if you cast well - If your casting ain't on the money, you'll end up with a lovely tangle.

As for barbed flies only - I assume it's because there's no catch and release where you're going.

Oh dear, I think I'd better come clean!

It is likely that I owe everyone who responded - not to mention the fishery - a profuse and abject apology for wasting your time. In which case, I'm quite content to do so but in mitigation, at my age, I would claim a senior moment. However, I don't think I'm totally dually just yet. The reason I originally checked up was to make sure that I wasn't going to be doing anything wrong through ignorance and remain sure of what I read, but...........

If you read:

"Flies to be single or tandem only."

as the first sentence of one rule, which would you expect to possibly be the second in view of the word, "only":

'Droppers are not permitted' or,

'Droppers are allowed'?

I remain of the opinion that I read the former, but have just had another look at the website and to my amazement it actually reads the latter.

I fished here a couple of years back, drew a blank, but always fancied another crack at it. Last week I was fishing another lake and was chatting to another angler who it turned out lives just around the corner from me and who knew of a connection between this fishery and what had been my favourite one until it closed to day permits and the owners of which have just taken on this one. It was this chat that re-awakened my interest as it really is a lovely spot - not forgetting the Trout and Tipple pub which they also run on the other side of the road.

If you're down this way:

http://www.tavistocktroutfishery.co.uk/

Singles or tandems refers to the number and type of hooks on the fly. So you can use a fly with a single hook or one with two hooks, one behind the other 'in tandem'. Tandem hooks are used on some lures. The first ruling would prevent you using any droppers, i.e. more than one fly.

Singles or tandems refers to the number and type of hooks on the fly. So you can use a fly with a single hook or one with two hooks, one behind the other 'in tandem'. Tandem hooks are used on some lures. The first ruling would prevent you using any droppers, i.e. more than one fly.

Thank you very much. Belatedly, I'm now with it and have got this uneasy feeling that the senior moment rules apply.

My sincere apologies to all.

Maybe with salmon mate,tandem means a fly on the point and another, be it a spider or a dry for example as an addition.

I would say that 'tandem' referred to one fly with paired hooks. more than one fly using droppers I would call a team.

They're called doubles.

No way would they be allowed at that fishery.

I stand corrected. based my reply on experience not a magazine article. :lol:

Experience of what exactly ?

How about:

Flies fished in tandem consist of a team made up of a point fly and one or more dropper flies and,

A tandem fly is one having two hooks?

In this particular instance I rang the fishery and queried the meaning of tandem just out of interest:

"I don't know, the regulations were copied from another fishery some 25 years ago."

Keep calm and carry on. :)

Just shows how terminology changes. Tandem used to mean two single hooks one behind the other, on a single fly. Wwhat is now referred to as Tandem, two flies one behind the other, with the second attached to the hook bend of the first, used to be called the New Zealand Method.

But the biggest issue for me is that the fishery are imposing regulations that they don't understand. So how can they be enforced?