Your Best .22LR accuracy at 100yards ?

Salop Matt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, no, no... Please don't ruin this fairytale, I was just starting to enjoy it.

Honestly, I do think some re-education is in order.

One yard is 36"..One foot is only 12", and there are three feet in a one yard.

To be fair, there are plenty on airgunbbs that make similar claims about their 22fac air rifles, deadly out to 100 yards. Whereas in reality 60 yards is what I consider a reliable maximum and even then, in any sort of stiff breeze, forget reliable and crawl closer.

But then, as already established elsewhere, I'm clearly not a very good shot.

I've met people who think a foot is s yard . Idiots .

Glad at least some people have shaken the thread back to reality :) there is no doubt under ideal conditions and with the right rifle and ammo you can get impressive groups at a 100 yards but in truth they can't be replicated at will which of course many a round can, some do so even with a slight bit of wind.

I'm always impressed how many people can either guess the distance so accurately or carry lazers.

The fact is

It don't take a 3k bench gun and rests on a tunnel range, it takes good ammo that likes your barrel and a cleaning leading in routine you know. I am surprised those groups are so poor but mixing ammo brands will wreck long range accuracy and you simply cannot buy accuracy in a gun were the big factor is the factory made ammo

I could shoot many thousands of rounds without ever cleaning my .22 at modest ranges like 50 /60 yards and hardly tell the difference yet I couldn't put 100 through at 100 yards and further without seeing a real difference emerge

Look towards the silhouette competitions run in the States and Mexico. These are shot out to 100 yards

My best group ever at 100 yards with my hunting spec .22 was 8 through very nearly the same bullet hole. This was over a decade ago using the old Lapua subs (with the rat on the box). The reason there was only eight is all I could see was one hole and I thought something was off with the kit and got a spotter to watch as I put two in the sand. There was something of a rush on the local dealers to buy some of that ammo LOL

It is however a combination of the correct barrel state and the ammo (even the right batch) and total conviction in your mind that the bullet will go exactly were you aim it ( without this mental aspect you might as well not bother trying )

If you want to shoot at longer ranges select your ammo at longer ranges and experiment on at what point of re-leading / re-lube your gun will shoot best. Don't mix ammo brand or type through a conditioned barrel

Just had a look for a target I shot for a shooting news article a while back to illustrate drop it was shot at three ranges consecutively but I cant locate it ( the 100 was a bit off high standard at just a tad over the inch ) but here are results shot at 100 yards all 5 shot groups not selective best just a test I kept and found when looking, it aint half bad compared to what some find though! I will have been shooting fully rested and picked the day carefully for such a test

Green tag 0.56

mini mag 1.06

sk sub 0.95"

velocitors 0.87

remmington 1.57" This surprised me they are normally pants in my gun -fluke?

RWS 0.61

sk again 0.78

sk again 1.47 (must have shot that last one first and then done two more just to bring back my faith in these)

May 2013

Yep, 'bout an inch ;)

Velocitors and mini mag wont perform so good as demonstrated here in all conditions must have avoided any transonic that day

Edited by kent

The fact is

It don't take a 3k bench gun and rests on a tunnel range, it takes good ammo that likes your barrel and a cleaning leading in routine you know. I am surprised those groups are so poor but mixing ammo brands will wreck long range accuracy and you simply cannot buy accuracy in a gun were the big factor is the factory made ammo

I could shoot many thousands of rounds without ever cleaning my .22 at modest ranges like 50 /60 yards and hardly tell the difference yet I couldn't put 100 through at 100 yards and further without seeing a real difference emerge

Look towards the silhouette competitions run in the States and Mexico. These are shot out to 100 yards

My best group ever at 100 yards with my hunting spec .22 was 8 through very nearly the same bullet hole. This was over a decade ago using the old Lapua subs (with the rat on the box). The reason there was only eight is all I could see was one hole and I thought something was off with the kit and got a spotter to watch as I put two in the sand. There was something of a rush on the local dealers to buy some of that ammo LOL

It is however a combination of the correct barrel state and the ammo (even the right batch) and total conviction in your mind that the bullet will go exactly were you aim it ( without this mental aspect you might as well not bother trying )

If you want to shoot at longer ranges select your ammo at longer ranges and experiment on at what point of re-leading / re-lube your gun will shoot best. Don't mix ammo brand or type through a conditioned barrel

Just had a look for a target I shot for a shooting news article a while back to illustrate drop it was shot at three ranges consecutively but I cant locate it ( the 100 was a bit off high standard at just a tad over the inch ) but here are results shot at 100 yards all 5 shot groups not selective best just a test I kept and found when looking, it aint half bad compared to what some find though! I will have been shooting fully rested and picked the day carefully for such a test

Green tag 0.56

mini mag 1.06

sk sub 0.95"

velocitors 0.87

remmington 1.57" This surprised me they are normally pants in my gun -fluke?

RWS 0.61

sk again 0.78

sk again 1.47 (must have shot that last one first and then done two more just to bring back my faith in these)

May 2013

Yep, 'bout an inch ;)

Velocitors and mini mag wont perform so good as demonstrated here in all conditions must have avoided any transonic that day

A very interesting read Kent certifying what the humble .22 can do, but there will be many closing thier eyes to it.

That's interesting data Kent (and excellent shooting)

"I am surprised those groups are so poor but mixing ammo brands will wreck long range accuracy and you simply cannot buy accuracy in a gun were the big factor is the factory made ammo"

In the comprehensive ammunition test I linked to earlier, the barrel was cleaned after each type of ammunition, then 50 rounds were fired with the next type before the 5x5 shot test groups were shot.

Can you outline the procedure you used to produce those excellent measured groups? As you were shooting outside, presumably the groups were all shot in the same session, did you clean and season the barrel then just shoot one 5 shot group, then repeat the regime for the next type?

I have nothing against the humble .22lr - I've shot them competitively and for fun for over 50 years but in my experience, while you can shoot some excellent groups at 100 yards, the ammunition, even top notch match ammunition is not that consistent.

Although not 100 yards, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about. (68 yards) Two of these groups are really quite pleasing, less than .4" but the others just par for the course, not bad, about what I expected. This was shot with my usual hunting rig, Sako Finnfire, Eley sub Hp's Bi-pod off the ground.

th_Snap_2015.06.26_11h12m39s_001_zpsd3nk

We've all got phone cameras now so lets see some actual photos - I would suggest four x five shot groups on a single sheet of A4 paper at a range finder verified range.

(and not disregarding the one from the cold barrel or the one you pulled :).

Who's up for the challenge - Lets see some of these consistent sub 1moa groups.

Sorry I just picked them out the book. There would have been a proper clean and at least a dozen re- lube / lead shots with each batch though as most groups are on target I must have zeroed each in or the faster would have been higher

I have a fixed 50 yards range at home and facilities to shoot to over 1000 yards over land to the side of my yard

The groups will have been shot on a decent day I don't mean no wind it looks like a light nil value to me ( which is easier for a no call shot)

As you say the ammo is the limiter that's why I was amazed by the remmington

Spend 10k on the gun and still the ammo and knowing the conditioning your barrel needs are the limiter

Somewhere after 50-60 rounds and things will drop off usually. Sometimes using the same sk I choose

Spend 10k on the gun and still the ammo and knowing the conditioning your barrel needs are the limiter

Thanks Kent - I agree. .22lr ammunition is pretty mediocre in general. Even at the highest levels, using premium (expensive) ammunition you can't guarantee consistent results.

If you want to compete at the top level you need to take your rifle to Eley and they will test it to see which of their current stock shoot best in your rifle. Once you have found the round that works, you buy a large batch of that particular lot number. It might all be Eley Tenex - but only that particular batch shoots well in your rifle.

When tuning centrefire loads, you tailor the round to suit the rifle, you can spend as much time and effort as you want to screw the very best out of your rifle. With the .22lr you get what you're given. Yes, it's reasonably cheap, yes it's great fun, yes, it's great for pest control but accuracy is not it's strong point, especially when talking about HP hunting or bulk plinking ammunition..

It's surprising it's as good as it is but then again they can invest good money in the stuff that makes it as it's so popular all over the world

Yes a family friend was about as good as it gets ( I am not a name dropper though)and used to go to Germany just testing ammo and buying in bulk numbers that mere hunting folk like me just couldn't get to keep