Your Best .22LR accuracy at 100yards ?

Salop Matt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Eley group is indeed stunningly good but can it be reliably repeated, day after day ? The answer is probably not because otherwise we'd all be thinking of our .22's as 100 plus yards rifles which we don't.

The other thing to consider is that accuracy on paper and live game which is rarely if ever as static as a target are two different things, also we take pains to make sure the path to the target is fully cleared, rabbits are not so accommodating.

The other groups were pretty poor, certainly not good enough for reliable head shots.

Hats off to Elliot for a well produced and edited video.

If you have half a dozen different types of .22 ammo locally available to you, a short ammo test like this is useful to weed out the "no hopers". Once you've whittled the field down to two or three possible contenders you then need to do a few more groups to ascertain consistency, then once you know the grouping capabilities of your rifle/ammo/you combination you can work out at what range you feel confident of taking head shots on rabbits.

It's then it's time to start thinking about drop charts for that particular ammunition.

The photo of six x five shot groups with Eley HP subs in post 41 show this quite clearly, groups from thumb nail size to over and inch - you can't just say "that's a good group, I've cracked it" the combined size of four or five, five shot groups should be overlaid and give you a super group.

So - In my opinion, statements concerning .22 accuracy should be backed up by target photos/video, all shots on the target must be counted including flyers, ranges accurately recorded if possible (100 paces could easily be 80 yards) and at least two or three five shot groups on the same paper.

Here's a test of six different types of .22 ammo shot at 65 yards - I was using a .22 Russian target rifle and, as expected the Eley Tenex performed the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqRw_xDtrFc

I pulled a stack of targets last night went to post them from my phone as I do on other forums and got "file size too large"

I thought of sorting it today then I read the posts who simply won't believe it anyhow

Likely or not there will just be a stack of posts thinking I was out this morning shooting at 25 yards and recording false dates etc.

When I started there were plenty older guys using 22 on rabbits to 100 with open sights

Pretty fed up with the constant closed minds. Go look up silhouette shooting the results are recorded

When I started field target circa 83? We used paper targets and if we were shown the standards of today it wouldn't be believed

Fact is. 22 work perhaps has way less respect for what is possible

Have a look on rimfire central etc

Some long range target shooters even have feel identical. 22 rifles made up for practise and shoot out to 200 yards

What we are talking about its bunny head shots at 100 yards or greater right? There are plenty out there doing this and more with thier. 22

No rangefinders, windy meter, silly massive scopes £3000+ rifles etc

If we take a step back and think what it takes to drop 5 shots onto a target the size of a cd at 1000 yards with a 308 without ever having done it ourselves. Just calculating the drop and possible windage will scream out it can't be done - fact remains it is

22 at 100 and a tad more isn't ground breaking stuff, if you don't believe you simply won't achieve though

http://youtu.be/cR7b3fx8kVk

This video is what made me ask, I was just impressed with the eley subs group and its a pretty standard setup being used and not wind free !

ATB

Matt

Note it was a new gun to him, he mixed ammo in his barrel. Had no idea of conditioning the gun required to perform at its best

Also shot in a wind that was actually fish tailing when you look at the downrange plant and grass movement

Still produced a sub 1" group

I wonder if he re does that after over a decade of experience and testing he might do any better?

Remmington normally shoot pants the group I posted truly surprised me it was a freak no more

Shots dropping low every once in a while are common with many brands it's annoying but the better ammo will reduce its severity and frequency better than 1-100

Out of curiosity, how many people would be more confident of hitting consistent 1" groups at 100 yards if they loaded their own .22LR rounds?

This of course is the problem with the .22lr - It's a 150 year old design and, as far as I can tell, there's been no appreciable increase in accuracy in the last 50 years. On the other hand, there's been a steady increase in accuracy with centrefire ammunition over the same period. Almost all of the improvements have evolved from dedicated shooters developing new cartridges themselves.

Without these individuals we wouldn't have cartridges such as the 6mm PPC, the worlds most accurate short range cartridge.

These are a series of 5 shot groups with my 6mmbr. The very first shots with a new rifle, each group with a different powder load. These were shot off the benches at Bisley (109 yards) with a fairly windy day. 45 consecutive shots.

th_groups3.jpgth_groups2.jpgth_groups2.jpg

The load selected was 29.6 grains, then further tuning with seating depth etc.

And this is 200 yards -

th_Snap_20121226_19h54m09s_001_zpsa28cf4

If only the .22 could be made to approach centrefire accuracy.

I shoot of sticks at 4" gong with Winchester sub's at 200 meters on the windy range in south wales. Is that any use as for 100 meters its and easy 1/2" hole is on the bench

We've both seen that done/done it at the same range activeiii :good: For curiosity on my on my own land, I put up a similar sized gong and at 220m (checked with a rangefinder) was consistently hitting that off sticks with the 22LR/Eley subs. Not a rabbits head, granted, but at 100 yds in still conditions, using Eley subs which work well for me, 1 inch groups off a bench rest are the norm, not the exception, so I'm sort of scratching my head at those who don't think the humble 22LR is capable of that. I'll remember to take shots next time I'm out!

We've both seen that done/done it at the same range activeiii :good: For curiosity on my on my own land, I put up a similar sized gong and at 220m (checked with a rangefinder) was consistently hitting that off sticks with the 22LR/Eley subs. Not a rabbits head, granted, but at 100 yds in still conditions, using Eley subs which work well for me, 1 inch groups off a bench rest are the norm, not the exception, so I'm sort of scratching my head at those who don't think the humble 22LR is capable of that. I'll remember to take shots next time I'm out!

i regularly shoot rabbits, head shots, at 100 meters. you just need time in saddle and know your gun/ammo combo.

100 meters on mine, zeroed at 50mters, is 7" drop. 10mph cross wind is 3" so 16x mag with sbc reticle if 2.5 mildot drop and 1/2 wind. bear in mind i have mapped, in the field, out to 400meters but its a tiny target as have to use 5x mag and use the mark at very bottom of mill post. no i don't shoot live past 100. to far to walk and to long to make calculations if it runs of injured.

i regularly shoot rabbits, head shots, at 100 meters. you just need time in saddle and know your gun/ammo combo.

100 meters on mine, zeroed at 50mters, is 7" drop. 10mph cross wind is 3" so 16x mag with sbc reticle if 2.5 mildot drop and 1/2 wind. bear in mind i have mapped, in the field, out to 400meters but its a tiny target as have to use 5x mag and use the mark at very bottom of mill post. no i don't shoot live past 100. to far to walk and to long to make calculations if it runs of injured.

about 1" less wind but 1" greater drop in trajectory than I get here with SK subs. wind of course is very difficult to prove in the field 100% and I am at 850ft so will get a little flatter than someone lower down