Shot Query.

greylag

Have just watched a superb video of Dave Carrie and a team of guns shooting in Yorkshire. Excellent shooting but one scene shows the guns standing on a tidal beach taking high pheasants. I do hope that they were using steel or some other form of non toxic shot as the law requires. Wildfowlers shooting wildfowl in the same position would of course be legally required to use non toxic shot.

I would be interested to hear what other wildfowlers think.

Have just watched a superb video of Dave Carrie and a team of guns shooting in Yorkshire. Excellent shooting but one scene shows the guns standing on a tidal beach taking high pheasants. I do hope that they were using steel or some other form of non toxic shot as the law requires. Wildfowlers shooting wildfowl in the same position would of course be legally required to use non toxic shot.

I would be interested to hear what other wildfowlers think.

There are pheasant and Partridge on many of the marshes I shoot ( club grounds) one club doesn't permit shooting if game another does

Why might you expect they were not on steel. Pheasant are hit very hard with steel btw 36 grm of steel no 3 will wreck them unless they are a fair old distance

There are pheasant and Partridge on many of the marshes I shoot ( club grounds) one club doesn't permit shooting if game another does

Why might you expect they were not on steel. Pheasant are hit very hard with steel btw 36 grm of steel no 3 will wreck them unless they are a fair old distance

Have you seen the video ? , I am happy to shoot steel at long ranges but I would not have raised a gun to most of those birds.

They admit the cliffs are seventy to eighty metres high,and the birds are ten to fifteen metres higher.Some sort of steel or any non toxic loads to reach them.If there are any steel loads which will bring these sky scrapers down please let me know where to get them.

They admit the cliffs are seventy to eighty metres high,and the birds are ten to fifteen metres higher.Some sort of steel or any non toxic loads to reach them.If there are any steel loads which will bring these sky scrapers down please let me know where to get them.

Don't worry there one or two on these boards that have home loads and think they can kill anything a long range, I'm sure they will come up with something for you, best of luck.

Don't worry there one or two on these boards that have home loads and think they can kill anything a long range, I'm sure they will come up with something for you, best of luck.

When we had our beaters day a couple of weeks ago it was blowing a gale and some of the Pheasants we were shooting at were spectacular , the cartridges I was using were more than capable to deal with them which is more than I can say about myself .

In reality we are happy in our comfort zone , once we step out of that we are in a different league , yes we can hit and kill the odd long shot but if the truth is known the majority of us average shots cannot kill the long shots on a regular basis even though the cartridges we are using can do the business , the person pulling the trigger cant .

Those boys will have been shooting non tox if it was required you can rest assured of that, and as for steel ? They most probably were not using steel in those 12 bores.

I don't shoot high birds (well the odd crow now and again or something clipped at normal range) Steel really does welly pheasants though I shoot a few longtails here and as I almost exclusively use steel I avoid my normal duck shells

Hit one when I was emptying the car on the drive one morning this season popped one Gamebore no.3 in as it passed over approx. 35 yards up and it practically mashed the breasts to such an extent it went in the dog pot. if I go out for one or two intentional I take the 410 or some steel clay loads. I think its because the feather they have offers a lot less protection than a duck has

Of course I will very much be in the minority of those who have shot pheasant with steel because I cant see those who need to pay for pheasant shooting loading with steel

Can they be killed at 60- 80 yards up ? I don't know and wouldn't try but a duck load will deffo stuff them at normal range big time on occasions

Can anyone point me to the relevant law that says you have to use non tox in tidal areas? I though it was specific to wildfowl in England, not location.

Rick

I know a clay ground in the nw were lead shot drops on the Marsh yet the local fowling club use non toxic. Mad part of the English legislation

Likewise you can shoot crows and other vermin with rifles using lead on wetlands can also shoot geese as part of pest control

The legislation was never done well north or South of the border and I seriously wonder if the goal was as stated

BTW I fully get why we shouldn't leave lead ( or other legal though toxic shot were fowl take in grit and feed) and support it

Just for the reference of anyone else looking at this thread later, here is the relevant law:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2170/regulation/3/made

No lead below the high water mark(any bird), no lead on certain SSIs(at all), and none for waterfowl anywhere in England.

I never knew the high water mark rule. I don't shoot tidal areas so it never applied to me, but it is good to know.

Rick

If they needed non tox they would be using it, not nessasarily steel. On a beach or not they could well have been above the high water mark, i fish port Mulgrave and have an idea roughly where they are in the video, the mean high in there would be prety far out based on my experience.

Anyone that shoots wildfowl should know the laws covering the legality of the species and the location i.e. SSSI or similar.The excuse of not knowing the law does not wash.This is a wildfowling forum and if you shoot wildfowl or shoot below high water mark or on any wetland the laws about non toxic shot should be ingrained in your soul.

Anyone that shoots wildfowl should know the laws covering the legality of the species and the location i.e. SSSI or similar.The excuse of not knowing the law does not wash.This is a wildfowling forum and if you shoot wildfowl or shoot below high water mark or on any wetland the laws about non toxic shot should be ingrained in your soul.

As i said sure they know the law on that estate and you can be sure they obey it.

Edited by TONY R

Can I add we don't accuse without proper knowledge as we create our own bad pr

Pheasant just can't take shot like fowl can that's sure

Interesting, but extremely true point here. Why is it that pheasants seem to come down more easily than fowl? Is it because they are reared (and therefore "tame") or because of the extra down feathers wildfowl have?