Griffin Loyd, Wales

buze

Excellent! Yeah I suppose mid week like this, you'd have a great time and the place to yourself -- no need to worry about someone else's falling clay bits too.

I hope to get there on friday next week, I'll be by myself tho, no assistant to make sandwiches this time around :-)

• 4 months later...

Have to agree been up there several times and its great place to shoot. very varied birds simulating every kind of game, shots get progressively harder as you go up the valley but that just adds to the fun.

I count myself as lucky to have this place on the doorstep I try to get up there as many Friday afternoons as I can

• 2 months later...

I don't use forums much anymore but just stumbled across this thread and thought I would echo the previous comments. Sporting layout is big, something for everyone, and a great day out. A lot of money has been spent on the Olympic Skeet and Olympic Trap/ABT ranges in the last couple of years, It is the 'Centre of excellence' for olympic disciplines in Wales. Most would agree you would struggle to find better OT layouts in the UK.

I consider myself very very fortunate to have this ground 25mins down the road, good coffee and great banter in the clubhouse too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you have a good day, the weather is looking great although the sun might be in your eyes on the high pheasants. I cant get up there this weekend but my son and I had a couple of fun hours up there last Sunday. I was well chuffed to get my first pair on the next stand above the pond towards the grouse buts, cant remember the number but its the one where the clays come from left and right and fly off below you into the trees.

Have fun

Well, we did have a wonderful morning, and then it went seriously downhill and it snowed! However, still managed to shoot 400 between the two of us just on the top part of the course!

I *did* the pair on the grouse, was quite chuffed with that one -- the left->right one is *amazing* -- like a rocket :-)

I saw the stand you talk about, lovely view, and very awkward shooting too as the stand itself is a bit bonker. I even ended up shooting from the right of it as it was so annoying...

They have installed a 'new' midi oscillating driven just on the other side of that, very nice! Took us two or 3 clays to even *see* the damn thing :-)

So apart from the weather turning all welsh on us, had a great time. It's really silly how many cartridges you can shoot on that ground. 400 JUST on the top half!

Hmm never managed to get up there but might have to make time for it soon.....

HDAV I have not shot at many other shooting grounds so I am not best placed to say whether G.L is better than others or not, but they have lots of different birds presented at many heights, speeds and angles and I can definitely say that having a few days up there has improved my shooting on a recent walk one stand one.

Glad you had a good day that's a lot of shooting! A pair on the grouse is some achievement, did you have the second bird on report? I hardly get time to see the second never mind shoot it if I use the pair button.

Definitely the sim pair there! I did shoot perhaps 5 of each first, and I missed the first 2 pairs before I 'nailed it'. Work on getting the left->right early as you can; positioning the tip of the gun on the clay trajectory, seeign the bird in the peripheral vision and then actually YANK the gun the right way and shoot it, THEN *yank* the gun the other way to pick the left->right one, making sure you don't shoot over it as it'll be dropping by the time you pick it up.... Basically there is no room for 'making sure' on that pair!

Does put a big grin on the face tho :-)

HDAV I have not shot at many other shooting grounds so I am not best placed to say whether G.L is better than others or not, but they have lots of different birds presented at many heights, speeds and angles and I can definitely say that having a few days up there has improved my shooting on a recent walk one stand one.

I'm rather very lucky, as I shoot E.J Churchill, A.C Sporting, A1, AGL, Shot Doveridge once, shoot Mid Wales all the time. I can say Griffin Lloyds is the toughest, in general. There are a few 'easy' stands but the 'hard' stands are really nice; also, the geography helps as you get really tricky driven, or quartering, or just birds flying /downhill/ (which is very awkward, for a normal clay ground).

Also, Griffin's just /nice/ on a good day. Take you car up, pack cartridges (you'll need them!) and lunch/coffee) and you'll have a fantastic day just on the sporting valley.

Closest I've seen is Dovey Valley near Aber, it's a very nice valley as well, but the clay ground is quite primitive, and you need a 'caddy' as some of the traps are... manual. Also the couple of times we called on a saturday to have a shoot there, they couldn't accommodate us. We visited some months back, and really like the geography of it, but it has clearly has been running on very little investment for a long time...

Buze. You sound like you know what your doing, we should meet up at mid wales shooting ground one Tuesday when I'm off work so you show me how it's done...

Heh I wish I knew what I was doing ;-)

Can't do next tuesday, but I'll be there next friday. I very often have the whole ground to myself on the friday at this season! Jonathan told me last time I was there he was installing a new Compak setup near the first DTL/trap hut... I also suggested he could perhaps use to extra stands outside to make a FITASC setup! That would be nice...

Glad you had a good day that's a lot of shooting! A pair on the grouse is some achievement, did you have the second bird on report? I hardly get time to see the second never mind shoot it if I use the pair button.

[/quote

Two out front is a bit "testing".......... at least with the real thing you can take the second as it passes or behind!

• 3 months later...

Well, I spend the better part of the day in the sporting valley. Shoot (at) .... 500 clays! That ground is such excellent really. 25 stands, pretty much all of them challenging, some of them actually quite hard.

Arrived early by myself (Mrs Buze was working, her loss!) And gradually went up the valley with the car. Had a piece of lunch midway up, then went to the top, cup of coffee, and had a couple more stands on the way down.

That's really the beauty of that ground, you have your car 20m away, so you can have other guns to play with, and just have to carry one plus some carts at that's it.

My fav today was the high driven, at the bottom. There's two oscillating traps sending stuff at about 45 degrees from each other's, at 40+ yards. Plus a stonking high crosser from the other direction as a third trap. So you get from full crossers to full driven, thru the trees. Excellent fun

But there's many others, it'd be too long to explain, you just have to visit!

I was shooting CompX 28 fiber, mostly. I had a couple of boxes of Pro Trap near the end, and quite frankly I wouldn't have shoot 500 of *these*

Oh as a toy i was lent by my RFD a single barrel 410 and i managed to break some clays with that, i have to say it's excellent fun, i was quite surprised at what i could reach. First time i ever shoot one!

https://goo.gl/photos/RzPLcJumxNKCDKs3A