Bad lads win again

psycho

Talking to a farmers son yesterday who has asked me to dispatch all of the hares on his land..

Reason being last year there was a good 2 dozen which then attracted vermin with dogs who threatened to hit him when he asked them to leave his land and its a risk he no longer wishes to take

Even said it will get to the point were you can have nothing roaming free....this farmer has always allowed the hares in the top fields but hares attract vermin with dogs

The real scum does not need to look, those reptiles know whats there where the gates, dyke bridges, fence lines end, everything. Depresing prospect trying to deal with them, close leasion with pro active police initiatives in your area has some merit and slows a few of them down but the law tends to view them as whity red faced country yokels feeding the starving family. Never more far from the truth, just SCUM end of story.

Sorry Rant over but they realy get to me, lost a lot to them in my time and its never easy to acept i dont care how long you have been dealing with these criminals.

In theory-Surely a quick call to our dedicated Boys in Blue would have them hot footing it to the scene of the crime and immediately arresting said "Crims" if they were in fact being a tad naughty?.

In reality-You wouldn't get a signal on your £600 phone so you would jump into your Car and make haste towards the nearest Police Station-getting flashed by countless Gatso's en route before being stopped and arrested because your MOT expired at midday.

Have a coffee and a chat with your farmer, as shooting the hares will not solve the problem as has already been mentioned they will still walk your land and have a bad attitude. Farm gates, and prevention measures are the only thing that will curb the invasion, as a lot of information is obtained from local people then via media given to these people. This is something I have been through just make your patch harder course.

I did that for a farmer too. It took a few trips for the bad lads to realise the Hares were no longer about but they have stopped 'travelling' the land to look for them now. The knock on effect is as they are no longer visiting the land other things don't seem to get busted into, through or go missing: Apart from a caravan that was visible from the main road and got removed through three wet fields rather than through better secured gates.

The farmers around here only have themselves to blame I'm afraid; many of them have diversified into renting out fields to the travelling fraternity prior to and during Fair week. As a result Hares aren't in abundance as they were once were, so the Hare drives we once had to keep the numbers down every few years are now a thing of the past and we don't shoot them at all.

Talking to a farmers son yesterday who has asked me to dispatch all of the hares on his land..

Reason being last year there was a good 2 dozen which then attracted vermin with dogs who threatened to hit him when he asked them to leave his land and its a risk he no longer wishes to take

Even said it will get to the point were you can have nothing roaming free....this farmer has always allowed the hares in the top fields but hares attract vermin with dogs

We had to do this years back,,,it did work..

But not to see them on the ground was soul destroying, As you say the poor old hare doesn't stand a chance which ever way you go,its not only the Hares they disturb all game..

But not see Hares about was really gut wrenching, what a damn shame..

You cannot get enough back up from any source, The Scum Win..

Have a coffee and a chat with your farmer, as shooting the hares will not solve the problem as has already been mentioned they will still walk your land and have a bad attitude. Farm gates, and prevention measures are the only thing that will curb the invasion, as a lot of information is obtained from local people then via media given to these people. This is something I have been through just make your patch harder course.

That's a bold statement, maybe in your area it doesn't work but in mine it does. I was asked to do the same as all the fields in this area are arable and not fenced off so the undesirables just drove the back roads lamped the fields and once they saw eyes they were straight on. Getting rid of those eyes solved the problem as once there's nothing to run their dog on they moved elsewhere where there was.

This was off 1 farm in 1 night in North Yorkshire.

P9172923.jpg

Edited by Luckyshot

I can see the problem you all have, have had the same problem years ago, but shooting all the hares on a farm here and there is worse for the poor hare numbers that the vermin that chase them with dogs, police must be involved ever time the vermin with dogs are seen, do not get involved yourself, get vehicle reg number if possible, the more hassle they get then the more chance they will move on and hopefully get more hassle ease where, worked well here in Fife, Jim.

The land is all walled and has lockable gates on the occasion farmers son got threatened he had earlier said to the scum not allowed on land when saying from van any hares and rabbits about.they then an hour later climeed over gates and were 300 yards into a large field with 3 lads and 6 dogs this was in broad daylight.farmer drove over in land rover got threatened he got number plate of vehicle police informed but all said ..ah yes we know them not even young lads ages around 25-30....we used to have few deer around but not seen them for 2 years either ...

Edited by psycho

So kill any wildlife that might attract undesirables on to your land, makes sense. :rolleyes:

I entirely see your point, but rightly or wrongly some landowners feel they have little recourse for alternatives. Where I live rozzers are very thin on the ground and the local hobby bobby on his BMX doesn't really cut it. Damaged crops, gates and fences take priority over wildlife I'm afraid.

Same here I'm afraid. A distinct reluctance for plod to get involved means that the poor old hares days are numbered. It simpler than regularly having your crops ruined and doesn't involve any nasty retribution visited upon you or your property which plod are equally as uninterested in.

But, it's a small price to pay for a much richer and culturally diverse UK.

Edited by mick miller

its a real shame , I love to see hares . in fact I was invited on a hare shoot today but turned it down . just not for me . that said if I do have to thin them out I use a ,22 wmr , quick and clean .

I entirely see your point, but rightly or wrongly some landowners feel they have little recourse for alternatives. Where I live rozzers are very thin on the ground and the local hobby bobby on his BMX doesn't really cut it. Damaged crops, gates and fences take priority over wildlife I'm afraid.

I know a fairly large market town that has several bars and only a few officers to police the town and thousands of acres of countryside, as you say with limited resources they have to prioritise.

When I was a keeper on a large estate in Surrey the head keeper was a dour Yorkshire man who held no truck with travellers ( who 90% of our poachers were ). His methods of dealing with then and their dogs were "unique" but by ensuring neighbouring estates followed his lead the problem was resolved quite rapidly. We had six keepers on our estate as did the neighbour, plus farm workers dotted about the place.