Hello (again) from New Zealand this time!

Houseplant

Back out on the ducks. Not really happy with my hide setup from last time, thought I'd give the ghillie suit thing a go. It worked well and I hit everything I shot at which was quite pleasing. Bagged two greys/mallards and three paradise shelducks which are a large goose-like bird which make good eating.

IMG_1266-2_zpsotlyxm99.jpg

Unfortunately for this fellow, he crossed my path on the way back to the car from the ponds.

IMG_1269-2_zpskbsr59xa.jpg

When I got back to the car, there were two rabbits sat about 5 metres away. It would have been an easy shot, but they were on the small side and I had enough meat to take home, so left them to it. I did manage a photo though.

IMG_1273_zpspphtnpwd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A change from fur and feather. It's winter, so that means trout fishing. Although New Zealand has some of the best trout fishing in the world, I live in the Northland which is undoubtedly the worst part of the country for trout. A chilly start to the day at 10 degrees C, but it soon warmed up.

Three rainbows caught, the largest was 2.6kg (5.6lb). It came home with me and is sitting in a friend's smoker as I write :)

IMG_1312_zpsq85j7ohu.jpg

IMG_1338-2_zpseuw3oetu.jpg

Theres a saying in NZ that to be a man you have to "catch a fish, chop a tree down and kill a pig"!(i think thats it) Not sure if i could hunt/kill a pig the way they do it with dogs and a knife though.

I loved the place, went fishing on a boat for the day. Only problem was it was too good!! everyone had caught their limit (10 snapper each?) by about 11am!

Theres a saying in NZ that to be a man you have to "catch a fish, chop a tree down and kill a pig"!(i think thats it) Not sure if i could hunt/kill a pig the way they do it with dogs and a knife though.

I loved the place, went fishing on a boat for the day. Only problem was it was too good!! everyone had caught their limit (10 snapper each?) by about 11am!

Sure. Men are men here. Not sure I live up to expectations, but I'm trying! The pig hunting with dogs and knives isn't for me, but one day I'll get my chance with a rifle. The snapper limit has now been reduced to seven in my region. Given that the average size of fish that I catch is around 8lb, I can live with that. We've eaten snapper nearly every night this week. The smoked trout will be a nice change :)

I've upped my masculinity rating a little. I spent most of yesterday trekking uphill through dense bush in order to find some goats. I went with someone who knew what they were doing and learnt a lot. He brought his .270 which was an interesting experience in itself!

View.

IMG_1101_zpsfcnhebh1.jpeg

Goats. Quick photo taken at the end of an exhausting day, so not the best quality. Would love to say that I shot at least one of these, but they were taken by my mentor.

IMG_6062_zps7jfzi591.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at my own thread, it seems that I have over looked my "bread and butter" sport which is saltwater fishing from a jet ski. Went out on Saturday and it was exceptional. Great sea conditions and the fish were queuing up to be caught, including a 20lb snapper which is something of a milestone. All fish were caught on lures.

G0091625_zpsjncesaco.jpg

G0041517_zpspjuxl3bn.jpg

G0061558_zpslmocfx6r.jpg

G0071571_zpsy9di8pwl.jpg

G0071584_zpsja5xawfx.jpg

G0081600-2_zps1s2q6l28.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a full-on week. Actually happy to be back to work as I needed a rest!

Monday

Went out on a friend's farm for rabbits and possums. First time out with full length shooting sticks. What a revelation! First shot was a successful head shot on a rabbit at 40 metres from standing. Happy with that. The bunny was joined by four of his mates and a similar number of possums.

Rabbits_zpstsmeaw6q.jpg

Tuesday

Back up the mountain chasing wild goats. After coming very close last time, I finally bagged my first goat with a friend's .270. Satisfying because we really put the work in to tracking down these animals.

Goat_zpswz5ayjpd.jpg

Wednesday

Back out on the water, this time on a friend's brand new boat. The sea was glassed out all day which is very rare for this part of the world. Fishing was good as always and we filled the fish bin quickly enough, topped off by two fine eating-size snapper.

Snapper_zpsrnu6oq38.jpg

Haha! Two reasons, firstly, it's very easy to get sunburnt here. I'm no fan of sunscreen and it's not ideal for hunting or fishing re: the smell. Secondly, I don't want to put clearly identifiable pictures of myself up on the internet. I have my reasons, nothing sinister!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

In 1959 my uncle who had emigrated a number of years before revisited the UK and told me stories. I was 19 at the time and restless as all 19 year olds are. He said to come over to NZ and he would guarantee me a job. I looked at my mothers face, I was the only son and I just could not do it. BUT, I declared to myself that as soon as I could I would visit NZ. In 1990 I retired and on that day I walked down Solihull High Street and entered a travel agent and booked flights. I contacted a fishing/hunting guide Alan Simmonds in Turangi and said I wanted a guide full time for three weeks, I wanted to fish and hunt and in particular to hunt the Tahr, the proper way, no helicopters etc. I will not bore you with the details but will just suggest, if you have the time and the means then go. It is the most fantastic country and the people are brilliant. Shot tahr, chamois, black swans, paradise ducks, caught huge rainbows and had a ball. If I was 50yrs younger I would be out there now.

Of course life out hunting the bush is a lot easier these days, with these fancy location thingies. When I was there in 1991 there was an annual loss to the population in hunters getting lost and dying in the bush. Alan my guide took me hunting sika and it was so thick he had to walk behind me. We hunted for about three hours and then he said, "OK Mt UK Hunter, which way back to the truck?" I did not know which country I was in could not see the sky to get some idea of where the sun was and gave in. He parted the large leaves alongside where we stood and there was the truck about 10yrds away !!!! He knew that ground like the back of his hand having been a Government Hunter, dropped off by helicopter to cull deer. He only had to bring back an ear I believe to prove he had shot them and took sufficient tucker out to survive for three or four days. As you say, a different world.

on edit .... are they still 'sowing' poisoned carrots from the air to kill the rabbits? When I was there I saw truck loads being delivered up into the hills. We stopped on the side of the road and Alan banged his car door and the hillside about 100yrds away just moved. There must have been a couple of hundred rabbits on that bank.

shot my tahr and chammy at 6500ft up in the McCauley Basin, thirteen hours on the mountain and I could hardly walk for two days afterwards. Would not have missed it for the world.

Edited by Walker570

Spent the morning chasing goats before work. We blew an early opportunity, then battled some seriously dense bush over a few kilometres before turning back and coming across three goats right where we started! Three of us bagged a goat each. Mine was perfect eating size :)

Hunting6_zpswyhyqlhr.jpg