Hatching Pheasants

Hi we are planning on incubating pheasants this year as our gamekeeper says were allowed to put 10 down and i am wondering how many times a day to feed them and is there a set amount of water to give them for around a set of ten and what time to start hatching as the season starts October 1st. I am only learing and any tips are appreciated

Whatever you choose to rear they don't have feed times, there has to be a constant supply of food and water. If you have a gamekeeper on hand he should keep you right with regards to getting you some fertile eggs and setting your incubator up. If your only putting 10 down I would personally ask your keeper for them. Are you planning on shooting them as 10 birds will soon disappear probably never to be seen?

Edited by r1steele

If you are only doing 10, I personally wouldn't bother. You will have to put the same amount of time and effort in to hatching 10 as you would 1000.

If you do go ahead the most important thing is to keep everything clean and sterile.

As for your laying stock, they will need access to food and water all the time (they will only eat and drink when they want to). You can keep them on wheat whilst you collect the eggs from them, don't add extra grit to their diet as this will make the shells harder and the chicks will struggle to get out.

Good luck.

All the best

SABS

Do you mean you want to hatch 10 pheasants just as a little project? It will be hard to do exactly 10, not all eggs hatch and not all chicks survive. Feed needs to be chick crumb in an open tray to start with, they will instinctively know how to peck. Water needs to be in a proper chick drinker, because given a chance they WILL drown. Ours would usually hatch mid June I guess, I get them at 6 week old at the beginning of August and we shoot them early November

Edited by kennett

BASC are running a "Improve your shoot course" this is in conjunction with the Game and Wildlife Conservancy Trust.

The course is on May 6th and 7th.

Day ones will be improving your shoot, Day two is improving your shooting, you can if you wish book just the one day of your choice.

More details on the BASC Website

Edited by bakerboy

BASC are running a "Improve your shoot course" this is in conjunction with the Game and Wildlife Conservancy Trust.

The course is on May 6th and 7th.

Day ones will be improving your shoot, Day two is improving your shooting, you can if you wish book just the one day of your choice.

More details on the BASC Website

That sounds like a worthwhile couple of days.

One down this way and I would go, I am always happy to try and improve our shoot and shooting.

If you contact BASC there is a system in place to record interest by area.

If enough interest is shown then it is possible that a course could be arranged.

Grab a few like minded mates and away you go, now is the time to ask around as the season has just ended you have had a couple of days rest and preparation for the 2016/17 is about to, or maybe already has, started.

I agree with the above.

Lot of hassle or not a lot, even the quataties of different feed will be tiny, literally talking handfulls to a bucket full.

Wot/how are u going to keep them? Tiny brooder house and roof netted run?

If u have chickens might be easier to get 10 eggs and put under a banty/broody hen let it incubate and hatch them off.

Also how are u going to release them? I wouldn't let anyone put 10 poults into a pen with hundreds, u could be introducing disease or anything.

The only thing possibly worthwhile is doing it for some novety pheasants ie white

• 2 weeks later...

reading this sounds to me like a young person wanting to get into hatching and rearing.

we all know 10 is not cost effective but if someone is keen to learn and have asked for advice then lets pass some on.

As above has said would be good for you to either have a different variety than the normal birds put down or try to find some white one!

make your season next year far more interesting!!

good luck and keep us posted.