Decoying over rape

Scottyt

The more spooky and tricky the birds the more I am disinclined to set up unless I can be right bang under an active flight line. In those situations I am quite happy to have the deeks on a field the birds aren't feeding on (even grass is fine) but I only use dead birds and I set them up on dowels with broken wings rather than using a whirly or flapper. If the wind is slight I have them riding high and if strong I push them right down so the tail is almost touching the ground/crop. To my eye the randomly flickering wing bars accurately represent a shifting flock and it seems to work well.

Good luck. When birds are spooky it is a good learning opportunity as you can very quickly learn exactly what works and what does not.

When birds are spooky it is a good learning opportunity as you can very quickly learn exactly what works and what does not.

I just seem to learn what doesn't work!

I think you need to just get out and learn your permissions at this time of year. Do not expect much shooting. Best bet is to get a set up with a good view of your surroundings so you can learn the flightlines and watch/learn pigeon behaviour and just enjoy been out. As the rape starts to grow and the flocks split up then you can get some action on the rape (next month). Need to keep an eye on the thin patches away from any gas guns.

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment the flocks are quite large, and are always difficult to decoy in, spooking and flaring is always a problem this time of year, patience and more patience, find a flight line and set out a few deeks to divert them and have look on their way over. But don't take too many shells, take more coffee and sandwiches. My favourite plan is to find a field they are feeding on, then find any trees they are sitting in before descending onto the field. And set up near them. Works for me!

his time of year for me is about showing willing and being out there to show the land owner you are on top of it... I have taken the day off tomorrow to go and sit in a hedge for the day and shoot at very little :) the landowner says the rape is being destroyed and it is, but not by pigeon! there are more deer than birds on there..... they even come and feed when I am banging away with a shotgun.

I had exactly the same problem, after watching them for a while I realised they dont like open patterns, on rape they stay tight in a group, leap frogging each other as they move across the field but keeping very tightly packed, maybe in the thicker areas they feel safer if they can see another bird close, I copied them this afternoon and brought between 25 and 30 decoys into a small area , heads into the wind, then moved the magnet about 25 yards upwind , from then on it was great, where they were flaring away at the magnet, now they were simply turning in downwind seeing the pattern first and coming straight in, another tip is dont set the decoys directly down wind from your hide, as they level out on approach they will scan the area in front of them, if they dont like the look of your hide or catch a movement or unusual colour they will flare out, so have the decoys 25 yards out to one side , as they approach they will come in either left to right or right to left, keep adding to the pattern but keep it tight, in my view you cant have enough out, consider the hoards that descend into a small well trodden area on rape, thats what they are used to seeing, totally different from stubble or seeded land, hope that helps a little, :good::good: