New piece of pigeon shooting kit.

mikee

I have tried various barrows over the years and have found them all hard work ,they are a complete pain once they start to clog with mud

I would rather have the gear on my back even if it means I have to make more than one trip .

This is a eternal problem on our farm, a lot of the land is landlocked, a few 100 acre walk, it's a miserable thing to have to walk with the kit.

Luckily I can get to most areas on a quad bike using the footpaths.

Edited by kyska

I have tried various barrows over the years and have found them all hard work ,they are a complete pain once they start to clog with mud

I would rather have the gear on my back even if it means I have to make more than one trip .

I have had the same experiences, plus the headache of getting them over locked gates, fences and hedges.

They do make a narrow plank over a ditch interesting, especially fully loaded on a windy day. :yes:

I have a shooter friend with something similar, cost over £100 and sits in his garage.

Let us know how you get on.

As many posts above. OK if it is flat dry ground but it ain't no good if you have to go through standing wheat to shoot over a flattened area. It's no different to the amount of people that recon that they drive to the hide point. Yeah in the summer on stubble you can but the rest of the time you can't. Take less gear. Or get a servant fellow to set it up for you like the buttlers did on the old estate shoots. "Lunch is served sir".

I converted a golf trolley, by added a wide vase to the bottom, so that my kit bag would sit firmly on it. Bought from Sports Direct for £15.00

http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-steel-golf-trolley-874008?colcode=87400803

I've got one of those that I've been contemplating modifying that I was given as scrap. I was thinking of moving the two wheels close together so that I can drag it through standing wheat down a wheel tramline. If it carried 50% of the kit it would be really good. The heaviest bit is the weight of the shot birds. The cartridges have been shot, the dog and I have drunk the drink and eaten the food.

The wheels on mine look to be more substantial and heavier duty than that one.

Edited by fortune

• 3 weeks later...

Robust sack barrow with pneumatic tyres load secured with bungee straps does the job for me.

Blackpowder

Snap, but I use a 2 wheeled carp trolley that I pull behind me. Put my fishing seat box on it, with the gun, rotary and hide poles on top, then bungee around the whole lot for stability. Works a treat!

• 3 weeks later...

I've got one of those that I've been contemplating modifying that I was given as scrap. I was thinking of moving the two wheels close together so that I can drag it through standing wheat down a wheel tramline. If it carried 50% of the kit it would be really good. The heaviest bit is the weight of the shot birds. The cartridges have been shot, the dog and I have drunk the drink and eaten the food.

The wheels on mine look to be more substantial and heavier duty than that one.

I admit that the wheels are plastic, and rubber ones would be better suited. But it's been okay for my needs.

A bag for your back and review the kit you are carrying. Do you really need all that stuff?

What happens with gates and rutted field edges between the plough and the headland? When you get it back it will be covered in cack and dismantle or bag more mud for the boot. Depends where you shoot I guess. I wish you well but It would not work for me.

What I would like to know is how you blokes manage to A. Drive a 4x4 across fields with either planted or standing crops and B. How you manage to push a double wheel wheelbarrow through planted or standing crops without causing a lot of damage to the crop? I know that sometimes the tramlines can have been flattened a bit but most of the time the crop is really tight that it is a bit of a push to get the kit through the crop. OK I will drive to the place where I want to set up when the crop has been cut and ground is hard but for most of the time the fields are either too wet and you would get stuck and or make big ruts everywhere. The rest of the year you would be driving through growing and standing crops. Most of the time I have had to get the kit between 100 >> 300 yards to where I want to set up. The Barrow in the video is great for the place where it is shown which is on a hard shingle track and hard grass but I don't see it being any good going through a standing crop of wheat.

Edited by fortune

What I would like to know is how you blokes manage to A. Drive a 4x4 across fields with either planted or standing crops and B. How you manage to push a double wheel wheelbarrow through planted or standing crops without causing a lot of damage to the crop? I know that sometimes the tramlines can have been flattened a bit but most of the time the crop is really tight that it is a bit of a push to get the kit through the crop. OK I will drive to the place where I want to set up when the crop has been cut and ground is hard but for most of the time the fields are either too wet and you would get stuck and or make big ruts everywhere. The rest of the year you would be driving through growing and standing crops. Most of the time I have had to get the kit between 100 >> 300 yards to where I want to set up. The Barrow in the video is great for the place where it is shown which is on a hard shingle track and hard grass but I don't see it being any good going through a standing crop of wheat.

+1 but should add whilst I drive a 4x4 i try my best to avoid getting it covered in cack as then I have to wash it. I will if I have to but would rather walk a few hundred than have to spend an hour washing the motor.