Stand or sit

Caravanman

It varies depending on hide set up and how the birds are decoying. Mainly stand but have a high seat and can shoot well while seated apart from on either side when have a reduced swing. On my big bag last year I was in a narrow low hide and shot most birds seated but stood to get second shots at birds going down the sides.

ok im on my own here , ive shot most of my life off me Knee's whilst in a pigeon hide :yes: in fact i even won a clay pigeon competition shooting of me knees as it gave me an advantage :whistling:

But to be fair i wouldn't recommend it ;)

Being a tall chap, next to me you'd still look as though you are standing! haha.

I quite enjoy the novelty of sitting to shoot sometimes, something a bit different - but usually stand to shoot overall.

Being a tall chap, next to me you'd still look as though you are standing! haha.

I quite enjoy the novelty of sitting to shoot sometimes, something a bit different - but usually stand to shoot overall.

Ha Ha try off your knees its easier than sitting ;)

Just read George Digweed's article on pigeon shooting in "The Field". He states you always need to be standing to shoot as you need to be in the correct position to take the shot. I know what he means but its a lot more effort! Maybe that's one of the many reasons why he is a lot better shot than I will ever be.

There is no way I could stand for long periods , when my knees and legs were more flexible I would kneel in the tram lines on laid wheat and barley fields for most of the day and still shot well , then on the marsh I would be down the side of the dyke with no hide like smokersmith .

Nowadays 99% of my shooting is done sitting down and that includes when I am wildfowling , sitting down while shooting have its advantages and disadvantages , I can still take on most shots sitting down if I am sitting sideways to the pattern and by putting most of the decoys to the left hand side I can swing right to left with no problems , if the wind if is blowing the other way then you can adjust your decoys to suit your way of shooting .

You are restricted with some over head shots and birds going on your right hand side but being nearly three score years and ten I am happy to take on what I can and I am not to bothered about the ones I cant . :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

proberly the BEST shooting chair i have ever seen was in a book by WILL GARFIT...........he had scrounged 4 old ex WD swivel secretary chairs...you know the ones that have 3 steel legs and plastic fake leather back rest and arms that can be adusted....he left them in the field in his best shooting spots...........