How or what did this happen ?

Konnie

Been doing my rounds checking feeders today, and at one about 10 feet away, in the bottom of a large hedge was a dead fish, well had a chap up the lane who knows his fish and keeps a large pond, come and look he identified the fish as a common carp, it was about 15" long and he said would way about 10+lbs when alive. Now looked on google earth and the only place that would hold a fish this size is on a farm over 2 miles away in a straight line, it showed no signs of gouge marks or being eaten, so what would have brought it this far, i'm thinking by air because the trip would mean crossing a 8+ft drain.

Come on folks educate me.

No markings that are visible, like bite marks or chunks missing, nibbles.

Looked jdog I too think too early for osprey, says they are in end April start March

Not human transfer it's more hastle to get to this place than to chuck it in one of the dykes roadside.

Skin has gone off face/head but my man says this is natural decomposition on fish in a non fly environment (winter) as no flesh under it and it's thin in this area.

Very long time since my fishing days but from the best of my memory I'd guess a 15" common would be 2-3lb.

Osprey - why would it drop it and leave it?

Fox - why would it not hide it better?

Human - as said, why leave it there, much easier places to dispose of it

Eastern Europeans - why chuck it away? They catch fish like carp to eat

Mink/otter - would have definitely taken a chunk out of it, and this is nowhere near a watercourse anyway so no chance.

My guess is that carp are evolving to walk on land but have not quite mastered breathing oxygen yet :)

I think this is one of those mysteries you're never going to solve.

No one else has rights on land apart from farmer and he was amazed, when I told him and went to see for himself. And me being there was the first time in the last 12 months as I was spreading feeders out for nesting birds.

As said before this is in the middle of a farm, you have to go out of your way on a dead end road to get within 200+yards of it,