Starter gun...!

rcmh

Hi all,

I am sure this has been asked a million times before but I got lost while searching in the forum!!

So...

I have been shooting clays over the last few months and had some lessons while waiting for my shotgun license to come through. Absolutely love it. It is now that exciting time to buy my first shotgun so I am after some recommendations!

My instructor has been trying to convince me to spend £700-£1000 on a 2nd hand, good condition Beretta, Browning or Miroku. Having shot a few different guns now, I definitely feel more at home with the Brownings/Mirokus. So here is the hitch... If I can help it I don't want to spend £700 (typical cheapskate!)... I'm investing a lot cash (and time!) into a new food business in North Somerset (those in the area let me know would love have you pop over for some amazing local produce), our first child on the way and just moved house (I don't do things by halves!!), so I want to spend something between £200-£500.

For use mainly on clays, but also some rough shooting...

So kind members of pigeon watch - what would you recommend!!!??

Really appreciate your help in advance,

Rob

Edited by rcmh

Yes, I realise that Stevo. It wouldn't stop me buying it though. It's not a big job to have the comb shaved and still be within budget.

Yes mate for me and you its dead easy as we know what we want . We could have an afternoon with it .relize what is not right and just tell the smith to take an 1/8 th off the comb job done .... On e sporterized trap . But im thinking more along the lines that some something like the one i have show will be in buget . Has a multichoke option . And gives him a chance to settle into something that could prove to be a great little all rounder .

Edited by stevo

Your best bet is to go along to your local gun shop with a clay ground and try out a few guns that fit you and your budget as close as possible, don't worry about having the stock altered to suit you. With it being your first gun its not going to fit you perfectly anyway! being a beginner you will find yourself mounting the gun differently almost every time.

once you gain more experience and start to mount the gun the same every time without even thinking about it then go and look at getting a nice gun that fits you 100% but remember having a nice gun isn't going to make you shoot any better :lol: if it did i wouldn't be shooting a tatty old miruko

Rob pop down to UK gun repairs in Wellington have a chat a feel of some guns and don't rush into it, your instructor speakers sense a good used beretta miroku if looked after wont loose a lot of money, but a £200 gun will only loose £200 max..... (Might cost some in repairs tho)

£400 would probably be he minimum for a mc sporter (Lanber sporter maybe) fixed choke 28" then £300 maybe for a tidy gun (fias or similar) stay away from cheap new guns but you might just pick up a little used revo or ATA for £400 but it may take awhile to find a gun that both you and your budget.

With all the stuff you have on your plate where do you find time to shoot?

You can certainly find Miroku shotguns in that price bracket and a few brownings. There are a couple of MK38s on Gun Watch atm I think one is just under £500 and the other just under £600. Plenty of Miroku 800s too, nice guns if you can find a decent example.

If you`re going to be rough shooting as well as clays then you`re not going to want anything too nice just in case it gets banged or scratched in the field.

Yes mate for me and you its dead easy as we know what we want . We could have an afternoon with it .relize what is not right and just tell the smith to take an 1/8 th off the comb job done .... On e sporterized trap . But im thinking more along the lines that some something like the one i have show will be in buget . Has a multichoke option . And gives him a chance to settle into something that could prove to be a great little all rounder .

Fair enough.

Hi all,

I am sure this has been asked a million times before but I got lost while searching in the forum!!

So...

I have been shooting clays over the last few months and had some lessons while waiting for my shotgun license to come through. Absolutely love it. It is now that exciting time to buy my first shotgun so I am after some recommendations!

My instructor has been trying to convince me to spend £700-£1000 on a 2nd hand, good condition Beretta, Browning or Miroku. Having shot a few different guns now, I definitely feel more at home with the Brownings/Mirokus. So here is the hitch... If I can help it I don't want to spend £700 (typical cheapskate!)... I'm investing a lot cash (and time!) into a new food business in North Somerset (those in the area let me know would love have you pop over for some amazing local produce), our first child on the way and just moved house (I don't do things by halves!!), so I want to spend something between £200-£500.

For use mainly on clays, but also some rough shooting...

So kind members of pigeon watch - what would you recommend!!!??

Really appreciate your help in advance,

Rob

Congrats on successfully multi-tasking!

I have a Lanber and a Franchi 12g O/U 28" barrels with multi-chokes. You can get one for anything from £350 to £600.

The most important thing is obviously gun fit - it's got to be right and you need to be able to shoot with it.

Your first gun doesn't have to be forever. Just enough to get you out there shootin'.

can't go wrong with a multi choke lanber

+1.

Having previously shot with a variety of Brownings and Berettas I bought my first gun a few months ago after a 49 week wait for SGC (Essex) . I bought a Lanber Sporter in mint condition for £500.00 and have shot just as well if not better with it.

It is very well made and simple to maintain leaving more time to concentrate on the shooting ,ther are quite afew revies on the internet that confirm what a good all rounder it is , worth reading.

I am an average size so didn't have problem with fit , although I did spend some time in the shop discussing it with the dealer and trying various guns ,even ones that I couldn't afford, just so I could understand how important the feel of the gun is.

Time spent with a reputable dealer chatting about your needs is time well spent.

Sorry but I'm going to side with your instructor! Beretta, Miroku, or Miroku made Browning and you cannot go wrong! I ignored what I was told when I bought my first gun, I bought a budget level gun, it kept going wrong and after three months or so I chopped it in for a Browning. The real cost when it comes to shooting is not the gun!!! It's all the money you spend on practice rounds, comp fees and ammo that eat up the money! Please don't skimp on a gun!