Starter gun...!

rcmh

Go and buy a cheap o/u rubbish gun...use it.......then start looking for something "sweet"..........you will know as soon as you pick it up......but you will have only known it since you have been thrashing about with something that dosnt work for you...............

my m8 has a Miroku 3000 12g O/U Multi Choke 30" Excellent cond £450 S/Wales PM if interested..

Thanks have just dropped your mate a note!

Go and buy a cheap o/u rubbish gun...use it.......then start looking for something "sweet"..........you will know as soon as you pick it up......but you will have only known it since you have been thrashing about with something that dosnt work for you...............

Maybe that is the way to go!!!!!!

Sorry but I'm going to side with your instructor! Beretta, Miroku, or Miroku made Browning and you cannot go wrong! I ignored what I was told when I bought my first gun, I bought a budget level gun, it kept going wrong and after three months or so I chopped it in for a Browning. The real cost when it comes to shooting is not the gun!!! It's all the money you spend on practice rounds, comp fees and ammo that eat up the money! Please don't skimp on a gun!

THat's what my head is telling me!!!! Doesn't help the old short term cash flow though. sleep on it time! thanks!!

Quite a good selection in your budget range on here,

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sale/results

Thanks!

Congrats on successfully multi-tasking!

I have a Lanber and a Franchi 12g O/U 28" barrels with multi-chokes. You can get one for anything from £350 to £600.

The most important thing is obviously gun fit - it's got to be right and you need to be able to shoot with it.

Your first gun doesn't have to be forever. Just enough to get you out there shootin'.

+1.

Having previously shot with a variety of Brownings and Berettas I bought my first gun a few months ago after a 49 week wait for SGC (Essex) . I bought a Lanber Sporter in mint condition for £500.00 and have shot just as well if not better with it.

It is very well made and simple to maintain leaving more time to concentrate on the shooting ,ther are quite afew revies on the internet that confirm what a good all rounder it is , worth reading.

I am an average size so didn't have problem with fit , although I did spend some time in the shop discussing it with the dealer and trying various guns ,even ones that I couldn't afford, just so I could understand how important the feel of the gun is.

Time spent with a reputable dealer chatting about your needs is time well spent.

Thanks both - a fair bit of lander love. i think talking with a dealer who knows there stuff and getting the fit right key

Here you go. They don't come much better than this for this money:http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/331637-miroku-7000-tr-i-12-gauge/

Shame you don't want a Beretta looking in the gunroom ive a 686 with tatty varnished wood you could have for £565

Seconded for going to see UK Gun Repairs as their local to you.

Your best bet is to go along to your local gun shop with a clay ground and try out a few guns that fit you and your budget as close as possible, don't worry about having the stock altered to suit you. With it being your first gun its not going to fit you perfectly anyway! being a beginner you will find yourself mounting the gun differently almost every time.

once you gain more experience and start to mount the gun the same every time without even thinking about it then go and look at getting a nice gun that fits you 100% but remember having a nice gun isn't going to make you shoot any better :lol: if it did i wouldn't be shooting a tatty old miruko

Rob pop down to UK gun repairs in Wellington have a chat a feel of some guns and don't rush into it, your instructor speakers sense a good used beretta miroku if looked after wont loose a lot of money, but a £200 gun will only loose £200 max..... (Might cost some in repairs tho)

£400 would probably be he minimum for a mc sporter (Lanber sporter maybe) fixed choke 28" then £300 maybe for a tidy gun (fias or similar) stay away from cheap new guns but you might just pick up a little used revo or ATA for £400 but it may take awhile to find a gun that both you and your budget.

With all the stuff you have on your plate where do you find time to shoot?

sounds like i should check them out.

HDAV - ask me that in 6 months!!!!!!!!

Here you go. They don't come much better than this for this money:http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/331637-miroku-7000-tr-i-12-gauge/

thanks scully

I am far from knowledge about shotguns, and clay shooting in particular, but I would say finding a gun that fits is much more important than choosing one by make. Can you visit a local dealer with someone that knows about gun fit to try several out?

Seems like th most consistent bit of advice:)

If I was you I would invest a little more and go for a browning 725 or a beretta sp1 only reason I say this is if you get a good second hand gun and look after it it will last a lifetime and it will serve you well. I used to have a couple of cheaper guns and allways found that not only did the action not feel as nice but they didn't fit me quite right. About 6 months ago I invested in a nice second hand browning and after a week of getting used to it im far better than I was befor and now entering small competitions. Bite the bullet spend a 1000 and look after it

If I was you I would invest a little more and go for a browning 725 or a beretta sp1 only reason I say this is if you get a good second hand gun and look after it it will last a lifetime and it will serve you well. I used to have a couple of cheaper guns and allways found that not only did the action not feel as nice but they didn't fit me quite right. About 6 months ago I invested in a nice second hand browning and after a week of getting used to it im far better than I was befor and now entering small competitions. Bite the bullet spend a 1000 and look after it

This is a valid point, but in only works if you can try the gun and/or something very similar for a while. I was lucky myself to be able to try guns as I was learning, so I could pick my first gun as something (very) nice but perhaps @rcmh doesn't have that freedom! A gun that lasts a lifetime is not so good if it doesn't suits you :-)

This is a valid point, but in only works if you can try the gun and/or something very similar for a while. I was lucky myself to be able to try guns as I was learning, so I could pick my first gun as something (very) nice but perhaps @rcmh doesn't have that freedom! A gun that lasts a lifetime is not so good if it doesn't suits you :-)

A fair comment. However I think it`s fair to say that most shooters don`t stick with their first gun anyway. Most will keep it for a year or so and then change it.

That`s certainly what I did.

Whilst we`re on that point. I`ve just sold my first gun, an older model Miroku. I can`t remember exactly what I paid for it, it`s one of two figures. So I`ve either got my money back or may even have made a £50 profit on it after having it for a couple of years. That is the advantage of buying a second hand model from one of the recognised names. The gun will hold it`s value. I`m not so sure that will necessarily be the case with a lesser named gun.

• 1 month later...

Miroku I think are excellent value in general, but seems to be good general fits too. I also tried 2 of them and was 'sold' on a 3800 originally. I also tried a MK38 and that looked very nice and was fitting very well (however it wasn't for sale!).

Miroku I think are excellent value in general, but seems to be good general fits too. I also tried 2 of them and was 'sold' on a 3800 originally. I also tried a MK38 and that looked very nice and was fitting very well (however it wasn't for sale!).

Best value high quality guns on the market imo.

30 inch barrels!

Nice. I went for 32 inch but mine`s purely a clay gun.

so what cartridges to go for for clays - any suggestions? keeping cost in mind, what do people go for? expecting keeping them consistent then important!

When I started I used Evo 21gm for about a year or so. Not a lot of recoil and still perfectly capable of breaking clays, fairly cheap too. Starting out I found the recoil of 28gm cartridges a bit heavy. Nowadays I use Gamebore Velocity+ in 28gm.

Find something that doesn`t batter you to death and is reasonably cheap. No point going for high end cartridges. Then stick with it.

When I started I used Evo 21gm for about a year or so. Not a lot of recoil and still perfectly capable of breaking clays, fairly cheap too. Starting out I found the recoil of 28gm cartridges a bit heavy. Nowadays I use Gamebore Velocity+ in 28gm.

Find something that doesn`t batter you to death and is reasonably cheap. No point going for high end cartridges. Then stick with it.

At the moment, Kent mmxvi are going for £145/1000 plastic and £151/1000 fibre. Very similar, if not the same as Velocity+.

At the moment, Kent mmxvi are going for £145/1000 plastic and £151/1000 fibre. Very similar, if not the same as Velocity+.

Funnily enough I shot a box of them tonight. They seemed decent enough cartridges. I may have to go onto them as my current supplier has run out of V+. I pay £40 a slab for either of them (fibre). I`d rather have the V+ because I`ve been shooting them for about a year and I have both familiarity and confidence in them. However I`m happy to admit I`m not good enough for individual cartridge performance to affect my results.