Where to site the flapper

I have a UK Shoot Warehouse Flapper that I bought from the Gun Show and despite two outings I can't seem to get to grips with it.

I have been placing the flapper towards the front of my horse shoe patten, not dead centre, but as part of the horse shoe.

I guess this one option, what other ideas have people found work well?

If I don't use it at all then birds decoy as they normally would, but if I set it up then nothing comes anywhere near the pattern. I was hoping that it would attract birds in as other than this I only have FUDS and flock shells

Do you mean the birds are coming in then spooking or not coming anywhere near in the first place when using the flapper?

If I don't use it at all then birds decoy as they normally would, but if I set it up then nothing comes anywhere near the pattern. I was hoping that it would attract birds in as other than this I only have FUDS and flock shells

No piece of kit will guarantee that pigeon will come in. Firstly you have to be set up on a field that the pigeon want to feed on. When the situation set up is right the birds will come in whether you are there or not so don't dispair. I usually set My string operated flapper out in front of the hide so that it imitates a bird landing in the middle front row of the feeding pack. I watch the incoming bird only give 3>4 flaps and then see if the birds have committed. If they have you don't need to keep flapping. If they haven't taken any notice then a few more flaps. If the birds don't come in something is wrong in the situation or pattern. Perhaps they just want to be somewhere else and have just come to have a look but go on. If they veer away then you can be seen, the set up is wrong or you are overdoing it. This is something that can only be learnt by going and doing it.every day is different and going on some course that someone holds up a pigeon decoy And says "this is a pigeon" And you all say "that's a pigeon" And the person says "yes,this is a pigeon" ain't going to give you direct out in the field experience. the key to a lot of this is to watch what the birds do. Where they come from and how they change their habits.

If that thing is flapping like a lunatic when the birds are trying to come in They will turn away. I have seen birds coming right from up the end of the field, given the flapper 2 or 3 flaps and the birds have set wings and committed. No more flaps required. If they are committed They will come in. Unless something puts them off.

If that thing is flapping like a lunatic when the birds are trying to come in They will turn away. I have seen birds coming right from up the end of the field, given the flapper 2 or 3 flaps and the birds have set wings and committed. No more flaps required. If they are committed They will come in. Unless something puts them off.

That makes sense, thanks. I wonder if there is a way to reduce the flapping? I will call UK Shoot Warehouse to find out.

There is a course coming up here;

BASC Introduction to Woodpigeon Shooting - North Walsham, Norfolk

Country Field Sports, Unit 10, Folgate Road,North Walsham

April 30th, you will not go far wrong attending this very informative day, our very own Flycoy will be running the day.

Excellent, thanks

Take the clip off the battery. That's why I use a simple string operated flapper. Rotaries are OK but used in a different way and place. The only way to find out IS to get out in the field and every day and situation is different from hour to hour and you don't learn that in some shooting introduction course.

Birds don't necessarily flare off if the flapper flaps when they are close.

Edited by motty

Take the clip off the battery. That's why I use a simple string operated flapper. Rotaries are OK but used in a different way and place. The only way to find out IS to get out in the field and every day and situation is different from hour to hour and you don't learn that in some shooting introduction course.

Oh yes you do and a whole lot more.

I do wonder if a timer is better for beginners as they can just focus on shooting the bird rather than worrying about a flapper controller ......? Just a thought

I have both, a random and a remote.

You are correct with something less to worry about in the early days.

The gun just needs to be aware of what is going on, with the pattern and the gadgets, it is all part of a massive learning curve.

Keep well Malcolm, I hope you and the family are all keeping well.

If ur getting birds without it don't bother using it, the less u lug around in my eyes the better

No piece of kit will guarantee that pigeon will come in. Firstly you have to be set up on a field that the pigeon want to feed on. When the situation set up is right the birds will come in whether you are there or not so don't dispair. I usually set My string operated flapper out in front of the hide so that it imitates a bird landing in the middle front row of the feeding pack. I watch the incoming bird only give 3>4 flaps and then see if the birds have committed. If they have you don't need to keep flapping. If they haven't taken any notice then a few more flaps. If the birds don't come in something is wrong in the situation or pattern. Perhaps they just want to be somewhere else and have just come to have a look but go on. If they veer away then you can be seen, the set up is wrong or you are overdoing it. This is something that can only be learnt by going and doing it.every day is different and going on some course that someone holds up a pigeon decoy And says "this is a pigeon" And you all say "that's a pigeon" And the person says "yes,this is a pigeon" ain't going to give you direct out in the field experience. the key to a lot of this is to watch what the birds do. Where they come from and how they change their habits.

That was a very poor course you went on if that is what was presented to you. Did you ask for your money back?

The course that I (and others) deliver for BASC are a whole lot more informative interactive and hopefully at the end, and for the future useful.

You cannot beat the experience of being out in the field, but the BASC course helps bring things together,