QUAD BIKE ATV TRAILER looking to make one/ ideas welcome/ single/twin

oldypigeonpopper

hello, having just finished a motor cycle trailer fabricated by owner of bike welding by me now looking to make the above so thought a PW member has done or taken a chassis from caravan/horse box and refurbished to some form of plans ? what is best single/twin axle. going to look at a static caravan chassis 20ft by 6ft single small axle, all help appreciated.

Do you mean a trailer to transport a quad on, or one to be towed by a quad.

Most 'proper' quads weigh 300-350kg, so it you're making a trailer to transport one then twin axle braked trailer will be a lot better than a single axle one.

hello, yes a trailer to transport a quad on, cheers

Hi, A keeper I know has a trailer just big enough to tow his quad on the back of Land Rover and then unloads it and fits it on the back of quad to move around shoot. So this would be the best of both worlds

thankyou to reply

I built one last year on an old caravan chassis. Had to cut a chunk out of the middle to shorten it a bit. Perimeter of angle with half ply sides and the top half mesh. Made full height of the quad so we can cover it and a drop tail gate.

Probably cost £150 incl the original caravan

I built one last year on an old caravan chassis. Had to cut a chunk out of the middle to shorten it a bit. Perimeter of angle with half ply sides and the top half mesh. Made full height of the quad so we can cover it and a drop tail gate.

Probably cost £150 incl the original caravan

hello, just looked at a static caravan chassis 6 ft x 20 ft would need axles/ tyres towing gear. and more steel plus a lot of welding

Hi, A keeper I know has a trailer just big enough to tow his quad on the back of Land Rover and then unloads it and fits it on the back of quad to move around shoot. So this would be the best of both worlds

+1 It would need to have twin axles for ground pressure reasons behind the quad, I would think, because of the road tyres used. Not sure about the weight a quad can tow, I think I've seen 600Kg on a plate on one.

I wouldn't consider a static caravan. Just look for an older small lightweight tourer. Just make sure it is a steel one as some newer ones are aluminium. With a tourer you get a proper braked chassis with a heavy duty tow hitch and will be plenty strong enough to take the quad

I have some pics but cant post them on here

Quad = app 350kg so single axle (easier to manoeuvre by hand), no brakes. Get old chassis, remove axle and cut in half, reduce width to minimum needed for quad size trailer (cut in half, remove section and weld back together. Use steel from chassis (if good) to build trailer to your spec. You want it low, narrow and short. Anything extra just takes up space. Put tubular hoops off sides to carry pvc hood, quad needs to be out of sight as our travelling friends will follow you home and nick it later.

Got to do another one shortly for my son. I shall use new angle (it's cheap) and an axle I already have with exterior ply floor.

Don't you have to get home-made trailers plated these days? I thought there were a lot of newish regulations to do with trailers.

Apparently they have to be to some eu standard now, so I'm told. But refurbished old one's don't :whistling: Just make sure it has the weight limits stamped on whether it's new or old.

Rod you didn't make them some years ago in blue with full width mesh ramp did you? Cracking trailer would carry quad and then unhitch and quad would tow it the full width mesh ramp meant you could roll a large round bale onto it and then drive it around to feed and them pack it all back up and tow it away with car.

hello, having just finished a motor cycle trailer fabricated by owner of bike welding by me now looking to make the above so thought a PW member has done or taken a chassis from caravan/horse box and refurbished to some form of plans ? what is best single/twin axle. going to look at a static caravan chassis 20ft by 6ft single small axle, all help appreciated.

hello, thankyou for all replies,