Best way of asking

winnie&bezza

Morning all. I need some ideas on best way to go about asking someone for permission. Story goes that my sister has been running for 5 years the fruit and veg shop on a farm that also has a butchers on that is run by the farmer who owns the land. It's a lovely set up there and my sister runs the shop for them rent free as they need the fruit and veg shop as part of their business but don't take any of her revenue, just the odd but if veg. Now The farm does both crops and animals and obviously lambing is here. I asked him about a year ago about doing some air rifle shooting and he said target or vermin and I said vermin which I regret now as I wish I said target and did that on one of his fields and then asked about vermin. I know he has a pigeon shooter and I said I don't want to interfere in any on that and am just happy with air rifle but he said the problem is that there isn't much to shoot and if he thinks of something he'll let me know but obviously nothing. I go up there every weekend ( they are open Friday's and Saturdays) to buy meat etc and have noticed the farm buildings behind the shops that hold the livestock, farm machinery and feed etc have a lot of crows and maggies on rooftops which I'm Gagging to have a go on. Now do I take the first chat with as a go away hint or do I say to him about the crows and maggies around the farm buildings and say they can cause problems with the lambs. He's one of those chaps that is a bit awkward to read and am unsure how to approach it. I'm a carpenter so do I offer to do small jobs for him in exchange? All ideas welcome.

All of the above, maybe remind him of the last conversation and wondered if anything had changed.

You could just go for jugular and offer a days work joinering for a days shooting? Might just break the ice.

Or ask for some space to target shoot and go on from there?

Good luck

Yes kyska I think I will say about last convo and then mention that I've noticed the corvids around buildings. I think I'll throw the work offer in if he's a bit negative. I think I'm going to say about some space for targets anyway. Cheers. Haha sits that's the easy one but I'd prefer to do it myself.

Softly Softly....tell him your Dad , Mum or Aunt Maud is desperate for some Magpie feathers cos they make their own Flies and would he object if you popped up when nobody was around and shot one. Should get you a foot in the door - next time you see him ( after hopefully bagging a Magpie ) you need to mention that there's hundreds of the blighters around the farm and would it be OK to pop a few more?

Softly Softly....tell him your Dad , Mum or Aunt Maud is desperate for some Magpie feathers cos they make their own Flies and would he object if you popped up when nobody was around and shot one. Should get you a foot in the door - next time you see him ( after hopefully bagging a Magpie ) you need to mention that there's hundreds of the blighters around the farm and would it be OK to pop a few more?

I like this approach

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all, day off work toady so we went up my sisters farmshop earlier and walking across the parking area was the farmer. I thought this is my chance so I called out his name and went over to him and said I know I've asked about shooting before and I don't like to pester but I've noticed that you've got quite a few magpies, crows and rooks hanging around your farm buildings so would I be able to have a go at them with my air rifle. He said yes that's fine and he wants them shot because of the nesting birds (jumping inside at this point). I said the usual about being safe, insured and making sure that I know if any workers are around and he just said just be careful of damaging the Roofs. Result.

Well done you. In my experience earn his trust and then look for introductions to other farms along the same lines. Ie i notice on so and so there are a lot of... do you know that farmer etc. I have about 5 farms that have come from introductions.

Well done Sir! It can be a real pain finding permissions-even more annoying if you can see a plethora of vermin. Some people seem to have a knack though-I used to shoot with a (now banned) member of this very forum who ,it seemed, only had to drive past a Farm to have the owner chasing him down the road begging him to shoot all and sundry on their land.

Cheers All. It would be nice oowee but at the moment this farm is enough for me at the moment as my shooting time is limited. Well this is the first permission I've ever asked for as I was lucky enough to get permission on over 2000 acres on a shooting estate I lived on just by helping the keeper when I was 17. Not had that for 7 years so I've needed this for a while. Yes Bruno some people who don't deserve it have all the luck.

Well done that man! :good: I would however print off a permission slip, and keep it on you until you bump into the farmer next time,

And just gently ask him if he would mind filling in details of where,when and what you can shoot .

The BASC one is good, Its just to cover your 'sare', , and you will have something in writing , should someone ask what you

are doing there with an air rifle. (only my opinion :)