Overchoking

To achieve what exactly ?

To sharpen up accuracy presumably, ie ic/m on skeet to help sporting scores.

I tried it on skeet but was really concentrating on scores at the time so quickly reverted to sk/sk.

Might give it another go.

Edited by Glenlivet

Is this the theory that when practicing clays, if you shoot a full choke, when competing or out shooting pigeons, you shoot half or 3/4 you will hit more?

Why would this be considered, if you want to shoot say 3/4 and full and everything while hunting and competing, then do so and shoot this set up at everything. If you shoot competitively and change chokes for different targets, then do so accordingly. I can't see the point in trying this and I would be very surprised if there was any correlation between this and higher scores!

Is this the theory that when practicing clays, if you shoot a full choke, when competing or out shooting pigeons, you shoot half or 3/4 you will hit more?

Why would this be considered, if you want to shoot say 3/4 and full and everything while hunting and competing, then do so and shoot this set up at everything. If you shoot competitively and change chokes for different targets, then do so accordingly. I can't see the point in trying this and I would be very surprised if there was any correlation between this and higher scores!

The idea is to force you to shoot more accurately. Then, when it matters, if you're a bit off the more open choke will help out.

Each to their own I say.....

Alright mate, was only asking.

But yeah what I was getting at was if anyone who competes seriously does this? I've heard it not only sharpens accuracy in general but also allows people to see exactly where they are hitting the clay.

I used 1/2 and 3/4 the other day on skeet. Not for any particular reason, that's just what was in the gun.

Didn't notice much difference apart from every clay I hit exploded into dust!

Great fun and worth it just for that I feel!

Didn't notice much difference apart from every clay I hit exploded into dust!

Great fun and worth it just for that I feel!

Always nice to see that. There is something peculiarly satisfying about vapourising clays. :yes:

Going back to your OP. I knew why you were suggesting it and the idea intrigues me. Why not give it a go and see if it makes any improvement to your shooting?

Nicholas may be correct and it may not help. However whilst much of shooting is physical there`s no disputing there is a mental side to it too. So if as a result of practising with tighter chokes you feel more confident it may improve your scores.

Whether that improvement is physical or mental is really irrelevent.

If however after trying it your scores decrease then obviously don`t bother with it again.

I have and it's surprising just how many you dust and how little you miss unless very close. But I tend to only do that with a new gun of if I change comb or length of pull for some reason, that way I know just where I need to point it. Then I go back to half in both or less

Always nice to see that. There is something peculiarly satisfying about vapourising clays. :yes:

Going back to your OP. I knew why you were suggesting it and the idea intrigues me. Why not give it a go and see if it makes any improvement to your shooting?

Nicholas may be correct and it may not help. However whilst much of shooting is physical there`s no disputing there is a mental side to it too. So if as a result of practising with tighter chokes you feel more confident it may improve your scores.

Whether that improvement is physical or mental is really irrelevent.

If however after trying it your scores decrease then obviously don`t bother with it again.

Not often I query you DM but I would suggest that, providing you have a modicum of talent, 80% of clay shooting is psychological.

It's all in the mind - obviously my problem!!

Not often I query you DM but I would suggest that, providing you have a modicum of talent, 80% of clay shooting is psychological.

It's all in the mind - obviously my problem!!

Interesting viewpoint. I`d be curious to see how others view it. For competition I could see the psychological aspect being a lot more important but I can`t comment too much on that because I don`t really shoot comps other than a pub league I`m involved in.

Another aspect to this. I've heard many accomplished shooters despair at how overchoked people have their guns these days. Do you think there is much truth in this? Should we keep putting outlet faith back in much more open chokes and simply get better at shooting than ever tighter chokes and ever heavier loads?

In both clay and live quarry shooting I mean.

Blimey now you want to use heavier loads! :rolleyes:

28 gramme is the registered competition load maximum.

If you use a good shell and pattern your gun at the distance you regularly shoot over it should allow you to make the decision as to what a choke and cartridge combination can do for you.

Blimey now you want to use heavier loads! :rolleyes:

28 gramme is the registered competition load maximum.

If you use a good shell and pattern your gun at the distance you regularly shoot over it should allow you to make the decision as to what a choke and cartridge combination can do for you.

I think I'll leave this thread now. It's had all the sensible answers it's going to get. 😐

I practice with teague extra full and extra full for skeet regularly, really helps to lock in the correct sight picture, the issue is though not to allow yourself to start rifling the target, you need to keep your timing and everything else the same, let the misses happen but once you get a hit, try to repeat it.

if you are going to do it though, it is important not to just stand there and punch clays repeatedly, you must walk off of the stand and then back on, reset and take the shot,

it is also a wonderful feeling when you hit them and they vaporise :good::good::good::)

then when you open up to sk/sk or cyl/cyl your margin for error is bigger but your POI is truer in general.

I practice with teague extra full and extra full for skeet regularly, really helps to lock in the correct sight picture, the issue is though not to allow yourself to start rifling the target, you need to keep your timing and everything else the same, let the misses happen but once you get a hit, try to repeat it.

if you are going to do it though, it is important not to just stand there and punch clays repeatedly, you must walk off of the stand and then back on, reset and take the shot,

it is also a wonderful feeling when you hit them and they vaporise :good::good::good::)

then when you open up to sk/sk or cyl/cyl your margin for error is bigger but your POI is truer in general.

I think this was the thinking behind the OP's post. Sounds fine to me, but definitely for the more experienced and proficient shot me thinks.

Edited by Scully

I can understand the thinking behind the concept, if making practising harder by tightening chokes makes you more accurate then you will perform better in competition with looser chokes, but are you not better practising with the competition loose chokes and removing variables?

Consistency comes from routine, removing as many variables as possible and focussing on what can be made repeatable and reliable. So wearing the same clothing, using the same cartridges, using the same chokes, breaking the target in the same place every time, use the same hold point, etc.

I would rather take the confidence of being able to regularly shoot 100 straight in skeet practice with skeet chokes into a competition than shooting 96 or 97 in practice with full chokes, but knowing that I have skeet chokes in for the comp' so it should make it easier to achieve 100 due to the small percentage increase in error of margin.

I totally get using a tight choke on a new gun to understand the POA and POI

Ultimately though I guess it is whatever works best for the individual and whenever i regularly shoot 100 straight in skeet then my opinion might actually count :whistling::whistling:

Edited by grrclark

Guest cookoff013

i use full and full for nearly everything bar steel.

i only shoot clays thesedays, so its full / full, #9 lead. in 24 competition load or a 28gram load. then its cyl for steel loads.