Overchoking

I see your point. I have however never heard that saying.

:lol::good::lol:

Nor me - it's meant to be 100 chips are better than 99 puffs of smoke which is of course advanced grade maths except it doesn't work like that in real life because people capable of 100 kills tend to shoot tight chokes for a variety of reasons one of which is they don't want to see chips because that indicates you're a gnats wotsits shy of a miss. :yes:

I know a lady that is a very good shot and regularly out shoots most blokes and she likes to use tight chokes and seeing them dust. but because she is a repetition shooter she is no good on live game because she wants to be set up for the shot and work out the pick up point, the hold and the kill. when a rabbit bolts through cover or that pigeon zooms past she ain't got no chance with tight choke because it is gone.

Edited by fortune

just a thought guys, I may be completely off the mark, but do the shot strings vary by choke? for instance is the shot string "tail" longer on a tight choke than the tail on an open choke?

comment and discuss :)

It is a commonly held belief that a tight choke will increase the shot speed and lengthen the shot string. To describe that people often liken it to squeezing a hose, the water flies faster and further.

However it's all rubbish in any meaningful sense.

It is a commonly held belief that a tight choke will increase the shot speed and lengthen the shot string. To describe that people often liken it to squeezing a hose, the water flies faster and further.

However it's all rubbish in any meaningful sense.

I can see that, as although there would be some slight venturi, it would be negligible, the only reason I ask is that when I tighten up to extra full and extra full for skeet, my scores didn't plummet, so my summation was that perhaps the shot string was a little longer, so as long as you were on line then the zone was there for a fraction longer. perhaps i should have just given myself some credit ;)

It is a commonly held belief that a tight choke will increase the shot speed and lengthen the shot string.

It is a commonly held belief but in tests by shotgun geeks it seems the opposite is true. Looser chokes = longer shot string and is thought to explain why a quarter choke can break a 50yd crosser.

I'm not convinced but that's what I've read.

It is a commonly held belief but in tests by shotgun geeks it seems the opposite is true. Looser chokes = longer shot string and is thought to explain why a quarter choke can break a 50yd crosser.

I'm not convinced but that's what I've read.

1/4 and 1/4 works well enough for me. I shot a 100 bird Comp. at Hodnet recently and hit at least 1 of EVERY target shown, regardless of distance. Those that I missed had nothing to do with gun or cartridges, it was thrombosis of the stock.......................................the clot behind it !

I can see that, as although there would be some slight venturi, it would be negligible, the only reason I ask is that when I tighten up to extra full and extra full for skeet, my scores didn't plummet, so my summation was that perhaps the shot string was a little longer, so as long as you were on line then the zone was there for a fraction longer. perhaps i should have just given myself some credit ;)

I would personally say with my little knowledge and working on just pure logic.

Skeet there is very little variation compared to sporting. So once you have your lead sorted the only difference you would see would be the way the clays break.

I am a simple lad and every time have played with lots of choke I have missed more stuff than usual,now use i/c & 3/8ths for pretty much everything. When used 5/8/3/4/full found they had a sweet spot where really effective but for me no better at v.long stuff and considerably worse on close stuff.....I now take the view that choke is the least important bit ...am done with choke fiddling and would only bother if got into trap shooting where all clays are shot @ that sweet spot.....whilst Digweed uses full & full apart from our waistlines our similarities end there!! I am sure some particular chokes work well in some guns but for me and mine open is best compromise...bought both my sons f/c guns so they don't even have the fiddling option!!

I change chokes on every stand on sporting using from true cyl to a maximum of 1/2. Iam not a good shot but using the most open choke I can get away with means iam in A or AA in most disciplines.

there was a chap following our group at the Essex Masters who would arrive 1st at our stand and immediately start unscrewing/re screwing chokes and mumbling to himself about which chokes to use...I must admit I thought what an anally sad thing to do and wander if his score would improve if he stopped worrying about damn chokes the whole time...!I suppose if you have Multi choke some folk feel they need to use them...I would rather miss a few birds than look like Billy choke changer but of course it is up to you!..as an aside if you like open chokes,why not just stick to 2 of them as they will break every clay on a sporting round?In what way does it help you to chop and change or is it a mental thing...

there was a chap following our group at the Essex Masters who would arrive 1st at our stand and immediately start unscrewing/re screwing chokes and mumbling to himself about which chokes to use...I must admit I thought what an anally sad thing to do and wander if his score would improve if he stopped worrying about damn chokes the whole time...!I suppose if you have Multi choke some folk feel they need to use them...I would rather miss a few birds than look like Billy choke changer but of course it is up to you!..as an aside if you like open chokes,why not just stick to 2 of them as they will break every clay on a sporting round?In what way does it help you to chop and change or is it a mental thing...

I saw one like that at Griffin Lloyds too -- he was in a serious panic because one of his choke was stuck and one couldn't shoot /that/ at /this/ stand. He lectured me a bit about using a fixed choke (I had confessed I was a newbie and didn't care much about chokes), until I dusted all the loopers he was having problem with there using my Full+Extra Full trap gun :-)

At West London Sporting Targets I've seen a man take sandpaper to his stock -on the stand- as the gun "wasn't shooting where I'm looking"

He was still getting 24/25 but had gone from AAA to A recently and couldn't understand why

On a farm shoot where I'd progressed from C to A I'm now dropping to C again so stopped using 3/4 and full and seem to be worse now!

Kevin

At West London Sporting Targets I've seen a man take sandpaper to his stock -on the stand- as the gun "wasn't shooting where I'm looking"

He was still getting 24/25 but had gone from AAA to A recently and couldn't understand why

On a farm shoot where I'd progressed from C to A I'm now dropping to C again so stopped using 3/4 and full and seem to be worse now!

Kevin

not joking maybe time for eye test?

Had the eye test and now got prescription sunglasses, but not been shooting with my regular gun as it's having an oil finish put on (by Welsh Warrior -Daf)

I did get 15/25 on a sporting layout with a very old hammer gun -1/4 and full and sxs are slightly awkward for me as a lefty -I go across both triggers now and then

K

If this was on Sunday it was me.