Doing nicely

fenboy

My new dog is coming along very nicely at the moment.

I had him out the back of the house for a little training today , you cannot see my hand signals on the video but the training consisted of sending him for a dummy in one direction stopping him and changing him to a second dummy.

The video is not very good quality for some reason , I will have to have a look at the settings

What age is he FB, and how often/long do you do these training sessions at this stage?

He's looking great btw, well done.

He has just turned 12 months , I would consider his training pretty much complete as such.

I am just waiting for some pigeon to turn up so he can start gaining experience in the field , then I might get one or two issues to iron out but hopefully not !

My other dog was no where near as advanced at that age , so they are all different.

I do not do this training often , I know he is steady ,ok on the stop and will take direction so really its just putting them all together now and again , just 5 mins once in a while

Nice to see A.

Wish mine was that advanced; she is being a total cow, so right back to basics and going to a trainer for guidance.

A wise move Paul.

I know you could not put the time in with yours for a while and no doubt that will have some effect but I would not lose heart , they nearly all start to try it on sooner or later , some needs training out of them but much of it is just as case of them maturing.

Edited by fenboy

Very impressed fenboy , mine is only a few weeks younger than yours but it will be a few months till he come up to your pups quality ( if he ever do ) :lol:

Have you tried him on cold game yet ? , mine have no trouble bringing back a dummy with duck wings on but I was going to give it another week or two before I move on to cold Pigeons with a couple of elastic bands around the body , Would you move on to dead birds now, or leave it a bit longer ?

THANKS

Very impressed fenboy , mine is only a few weeks younger than yours but it will be a few months till he come up to your pups quality ( if he ever do ) :lol:

Have you tried him on cold game yet ? , mine have no trouble bringing back a dummy with duck wings on but I was going to give it another week or two before I move on to cold Pigeons with a couple of elastic bands around the body , Would you move on to dead birds now, or leave it a bit longer ?

THANKS

Yes marsh man he has had plenty of cold game retrieves and has retrieved a couple of pigeon when I shot them with no problems .

As long as yours is happy with dummys with feather attached I would move him onto some cold retrieves now.

I prefer to use a duck out of the freezer or feral pigeon for a start as woodies can be a little loose feathered and if they mouth them a little they are soon gagging on feathers , so I would leave the wood pigeon until they are confident with other stuff.

Yes marsh man he has had plenty of cold game retrieves and has retrieved a couple of pigeon when I shot them with no problems .

As long as yours is happy with dummys with feather attached I would move him onto some cold retrieves now.

I prefer to use a duck out of the freezer or feral pigeon for a start as woodies can be a little loose feathered and if they mouth them a little they are soon gagging on feathers , so I would leave the wood pigeon until they are confident with other stuff.

Cheers fenboy , I did keep a Shoveler back for that very purpose , If he don't like it I will send it up to Sutton Bridge as I know your keen on them and you would be welcome to keep it . :no:

Cheers fenboy , I did keep a Shoveler back for that very purpose , If he don't like it I will send it up to Sutton Bridge as I know your keen on them and you would be welcome to keep it . :no:

Thanks marsh man , thats very generous of you -------err I think :hmm: