FAC Air. .22 or .25 Calibre? Which is better?

jam1e

I have just run both .20 with 14.3 grain pellet and my .30 with a 50 grain pellet both running @900 fps because i have both of these calibres and the drop is near identical, so i would have thought a .22 and .25 would be near the same as well

so which ever one you use your going to have to learn holdover.

You can point and shoot from 18 yards out to 53 yards using a 2 inch target Zone, but if you want a point and shoot tool get a .17hmr

Kev1gun

Thanks Kev, that's one of the most accurate replies I've had. Quite surprising, as I'd of thought the .30 would have had a lot more of a curve to it.

What sort of distance was it over?

I appreciate there will always be a certain amount of holdover, but the least the better. And 18 to 53, with only 2" vertical movement would be just the job.

Cheers

James

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every pellet/bullet has an arc! Obviously....

You will get a more shallow arc with a .22 than a .25 of the same energy! Some agree, some don't.... :lol: Some believe the Earth is still flat, it doesn't matter that some agree and some don't, look at the physics, unless you don't believe science!

Why a FAC Air at all, what's wrong with a .22lr? Ammo from circa 30ft lb to just over 200ft lb, and shotshells! See post 27... :lol: see the bit I conveniently highlighted and underlined, there is ammo choice for .22lr from about 30ft lb upwards!

What do you want to do with the gun?

:good::good:

Edited by Dekers

Yes and No. A solid point and a hollow point both with same energy entering the target, former exits, latter is trapped within body by skin... Which caused most damage?

My view is the shock caused by the power dump (usually demonstrated by wound cavity size) as a projectile changes shape within a target is important. As long as the dump is within the target then whether it over penetrates or not, is irrelevent.

Problem with 177 (and especially with hard pellets designed to help with high velocity) is that pellet "lasers" through with little dumping of energy inside target.

A 25cal with same energy will have a greater energy dump within target as it's larger diameter allows for more deformation and even if it exits, more damage is done to target.

Look on Youtube at any of the gelatine block tests, you see entry into the gel with a narrow wound channel and then a short distance later when friction/pressure builds up sufficently, the pellet/bullet deforms (mostly expanding) creating a large wound channel, friction/pressure drops and pellet/bullet returns to narrow wound channel and stops or exits depending on retained energy.

The best pellet for causing damage is the one that loses/transfers most energy to the target.

Yes and no to all of that, and to Underdog as well.

It isn't as simple as any of that, it all needs further definition by way of bullet/pellet type, energy, speed, calibre, bullet path in quarry, quarry type, and whatever else I forgot. :good:

Dekers, on 30 Mar 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:snapback.png

Every pellet/bullet has an arc! Obviously....

You will get a more shallow arc with a .22 than a .25 of the same energy! Some agree, some don't.... laugh.gif.pagespeed.ce.sMHP77OGvg.gif Some believe the Earth is still flat, it doesn't matter that some agree and some don't, look at the physics, unless you don't believe science!

Why a FAC Air at all, what's wrong with a .22lr? Ammo from circa 30ft lb to just over 200ft lb, and shotshells! See post 27... laugh.gif.pagespeed.ce.sMHP77OGvg.gif see the bit I conveniently highlighted and underlined, there is ammo choice for .22lr from about 30ft lb upwards!

What do you want to do with the gun?

I've tried all the low powered .22lr ammo I can lay my hands on, and none of it from 20 yards onwards will group well enough to hit a pigeon size target in my rifle. If they did I wouldn't be looking for fac air...... Your posts always have an underlying "edge" to them. So, with respect I'd appreciate it if you didn't post on my threads. Don't take the time to post a reply, as it will not be read. Or at least not by me....

Dekers

You say that out of .22 and .25 at the "same energy" the .22 will have a flatter trajectory.

With them being the SAME energy the .25 will be travelling slower than the .22 and I agree the .22 would be easier to shoot.

But what do you think the trajectory would be like if they were both running at 900FPS?

The .25 would be putting out 45.7FPE using 25.4Gr pellets at 900FPS

The .22 would be putting out 32.56FPE using 18.1Gr pellets AT 900FPS

Now the pellets are both travelling at the same speed surely the trajectory is not a real issue?

Now I don't know for sure but the fact we're talking FAC here and no FPE limits its not like we're discussing sub 12FPE trajectories here, which are obviously going to all be quite different as the FPS is a lot slower on a .25 vs .177 sub 12.

As I say, I don't know but I'm pretty sure if you bought a .25 and ran it at 900FPS you're not going to be worrying about a horrible trajectory.

jameswrx

There have been various comments about speed/energy throughout this thread, there are a number of charts that will demonstrate this with assorted pellet sizes/weight/speed.

No doubt there is a place where a .25 could be made to fly in a similar arc to a .22, given the right type/weight of pellet, and this has been at the heart of this thread.

It isn't a matter of what is better, it's how you deal with them in FAC and what you want to do with them. In FAC one can easily be made different to the other. That may make one better for any given job than the other, but then tweeking the other may adjust the balance.

The energys you are getting to lead me straight back to .22lr. People seem to forget that there is a choice of low energy ammo available to fit a .22lr.

30ft lb AIR certainly has its uses, and no doubt 40ft lb PLUS also has its uses, but there can't be that many as the energy goes up. I do this for a living and have to be able to respond to whatever comes in.

I run 12ft lb and FAC Air at around 26ft lb, I don't need anything after that for any job I do that I can't achieve with a .22lr!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

• 1 month later...