a good weekend

dad

a contract farmer freind phoned me on wednesday last week and said he was drilling 120 acre block of barley and wheat and the neighbouring 2 farms had drilled some a few days previously and there was pigeons everywhere and did i fancy a day with him on saturday its just on the edge of the fens. he wanted to meet at 8.30 which i thought was a bit early but i agreed to meet him there, when we eventually found it in the back of beyond he was already set up and had 5 birds in the bag with no decoys just a rotary, he is not a pigeon shooter. he advised that me and my mate go down the other end of the field that he was on with the wind that was fierce off our backs. we got to the other end about 400 yds from him to find a steady flight line of birds coming straight up the field to us against the wind. the host was continuing to shoot and 3 other guns on the neighbouring land were shooting steady. we hastily set up me at the far end boundary and my mate about 100 yds away we shot poorly but steadily till 4pm i had 51 for 100 my mate had 30 for 58 the host packed up at 11.30 17 for 45. the other guns seemed to be getting more action than us all day, i could only decoy birds that were almost over head the birds coming on my left side hundreds all day long going i think to some low bushes to rest flying about 60yds away wouldnt take any notice.later on the land owner came to see how we got on and said we could go when we liked just phone first so that was a result, i was supprised that the were moving about so early and only a small lull at 12ish. we decided to have another go on monday in the gale we arrived at 9am in the rain and stayed till 10.45 and never saw a pigeon so we went back to our usual area and found a lot on peas feeding in the rain i shot 20 and lost five over a swollen brook and mate shot 18 so not a wasted day. contractor phoned at 2.45 and said he was back on the drilling we were on saturday and it was heaving with pigeon more birds than before could we come and help him but it was too late. one day they are going mad at 8am another day completely different.