Magnet

nderfel

I have been trying to use a magnet to good effect for a while now with seemingly no

Impact, it just doesn't seem to draw the birds in.

I have tried it at at various positions round my pattern but it's just not seeming to work.

It's not one location either, I have tried the damned thing on several permissions

Any advice?

Cheers

Nick

The only thing those spinning wing decoys seem to be good at is decoying new pigeon shooters!

Use real birds on your magnet. If you need a plastic to start your day off, my recommendation would be a pair of Hyperflaps.

Watched a guy a couple of years back in the exact spot we wanted to be on a field of peas, plenty of traffic but in the hour we watched he didn't shoot a bird.....magnet with spinning wing decoys. He packed up and when he'd gone we set up in the same spot, set out our magnet with two dead birds on and started shooting straight away. Was no coincidence in my opinion and in a couple of hours we shot 40 odd birds.

And pop them in the freezer when done, for use on the next trip. I keep mine for a while like that until they get too manky to use.

No shopping list required - just shoot a couple and pop them onto the magnet. Seriously, don't bother with artificials on the magnet.

Watched a guy a couple of years back in the exact spot we wanted to be on a field of peas, plenty of traffic but in the hour we watched he didn't shoot a bird.....magnet with spinning wing decoys. He packed up and when he'd gone we set up in the same spot, set out our magnet with two dead birds on and started shooting straight away. Was no coincidence in my opinion and in a couple of hours we shot 40 odd birds.

Could be coinsedence what time did u set up maybe birds weren't ready to feed when mateyboy was there. Saying that those spinning wing decoys r **** so maybe birds thought the same and stayed clear

Edited by Shotguneddy

Thanks gents. I have the a1decoy full bodied ones with the wings than spin. Just thinking, the white bars on the wings on the top or bottom?

best thing to do with spinning wing decoys is put them on magnate and blast them with shotgun they are rubbish imho

when you state angle them 20-25 degrees should they be pointing up or down?

No, sideways from the horizontal as an aircraft when it rolls. If you're minded, set the rotary going with them horizontal and walk off some 100 yards and look back. Repeat with them angled and you'll soon see the advantage. One point, dependent upon your set-up, you might just have to firmly nip the securing screw as at speed they can tend to return to the horizontal.

Thanks again, Fenboy.

Could be coinsedence what time did u set up maybe birds weren't ready to feed when mateyboy was there. Saying that those spinning wing decoys r **** so maybe birds thought the same and stayed clear

It was no coincidence I'm afraid. We setup in the exact same spot as he drove away, and had watched pigeons avoiding his decoys for the hour previous, as I said before.

We tried the spinning wing type on several occasions and found them to be pretty pants!

Edited by Wilts#Dave