wire electric dog fence

oowee

Having had my last pup run over outside the house (on the quiet road) and ordering another dog we started to look at fence security.

I would like to be able to let the dog out the back to wander safely around the garden.

We live in the country on a quiet farm road the front boundry is 140m of hedge with some wire sheep fencing but overall pretty porous. to the right side we have drainage ditch with a stock proof fence. To the left we have a porous hedge for 25m then a stock proof fence running up the field. The back of the house is open to fields and I have agreed with the farmer to put in a stock proof fence so that to the back the garden will be secure. The front and sides will not be. I was looking today to install stock fence in front and sides but i will need at least 200m and need to put in gates. It will also look a bit ugly in front of the domestic front lawn and privet and not be a simple thing to do.

I have also given some thought to just having a smaller secure area but if i am working around the place I would like the dog to be with me and not tied up.I started to look at the buried wire and collar alert systems as a simpler solution. Does anyone have any experience of these systems?

Any other ideas would be very welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

As Saltings says, I have seen it installed and work to great effect.

On a separate note. I have stock fencing round my garden to keep the sheep out. My terrier goes through it and the spaniel jumps over, so bear this in mind.

Dog is on order (about6weeks to go) and I have started to put in stock fence. I am going to do the front, about 140m and side about 30m and farmer says he will do back, about 150m. I can only do so much and then have to rely on dog. I guess whatever I do it could get out just trying to minimise risk. Blame myself for not looking after it last time. Ruled out the electric wire as I don't know how it will work with paving area.

Don't use one it won't keep stock out and with the correct motivation the dog will run through it

All shock devices should be limited to aversion training imo they are an obobonation when in daily use

A young or for that matter an old dog not used to the place yet can actually be trained it cannot pass without permission but it's better to put a fence in

I can't advertise but look up estate and park rail fencing as a product. This meets your requirements of view etc I think

I'd use some rabbit netting on the inside rather than stock fence or rabbit netting as welll as stock fencing where stock has access.

Depending on ur hedge type but i'd cut it well back and put ur rabbit net in front and eventually hedge will grow through it and u'll hardly notice it. Also get green treated stuff which u'd hardly notice.

The benefis of that over stock fencing is fairly easy to do urself and doesnae need big strainers or wire to be pulled tight by tools.

If u run 1/2 line wires (top or top/bottom) with HT plain wire use butterflies to tension it so can be done with a spanner, leave a bit off an out turn at bottom and peg it down with rusty fence wire and a post every 5ish m or where needed. Really pretty easy to do and not that expensive and as close to hedge u'll hardly notice it.

A dog would really have to want to escape to jump over it and throu a hole in fence.

I can safely leave my gate open a none of my dogs would leave but 1 did have a habitat off sneaking throu my hedge, once i found the hole and 'OI' him anytime he looks at it, fine now.