How many decoys do you use?

wokkywokky

I was out yesterday for the first time on one my permissions which has osr. Set up at 8am and left by 3pm. Fired 8 shots at high fast birds and hit one! We done a good job though as no birds landed and damaged the crop.

My question is how many decoys should I put out? We used everything we got which is 12 half shells and 4 full bodied pigeons. We setup the magnet but someone (no names will be given) forgot to charge the two batteries for it so we were without this for the day. I was not able to draw the birds in, there was activity around us and we even moved half way through as we though we would have a better result on the other end of the field. Without a magnet/flapper is it possible to draw birds in with just decoys if not directly on a flight line? From how far would a pigeon spot a decoy and think to itself "feeding frenzy, let me join in"?

Thanks. I need to rethink my strategy by the sounds of it. The difficulty I face would be that working a 9-5 i dont get time to watch the fields to determine where the pigeons are. Anyone else in a similar position with work commitments and doing pigeon recon? Also what food do pigeons favour at this time of year?

You must be keen , I went today and shot 4 in an hour and called it a day !

I always found 12 decoys is a reasonable starting point.

Fenboy, I need to make up for lost time with this lousy weather. What do you expect in terms of pigeon traffic when out? Is a bird every 3-5mins the average?

Thanks. I need to rethink my strategy by the sounds of it. The difficulty I face would be that working a 9-5 i dont get time to watch the fields to determine where the pigeons are. Anyone else in a similar position with work commitments and doing pigeon recon? Also what food do pigeons favour at this time of year?

My advice would be to be prepared to spend an hour or even two driving or walking around the area looking for the flight lines at the start of your day. 2 hours out of 7 isn't untoward when you could spend all of those 7 hours sitting in the wrong place. I'd rather have 2 or 3 hours amongst the birds than 7 sitting twiddling my thumbs.

Edited by UKPoacher

I think most situations are different in a away, when shooting over maize last year the more I could get out there the better they came,started with 8 and the whirly. But on drilling recently I started with 8 plastic one angel and a flapper and the small pattern was the one they were more comfortable with for decoying. I even took a few deads back in that i had put out. Just play with things until they work for you.

A common misconception is that if you put decoys out, then every pigeon in the area will magically be drawn to you and you alone.

That is why there are so many discussion about decoys/flappers/rotary's etc and where to put them. That's a whole topic by itself.

Pigeons may have too many food options, they have something better to feed on, they've been on a field down the road for a few days so going back for more.

It sounds like you were not set up on a field that they wanted to feed on and you were not under a flight line. 8 shots at high/fast birds is just passing traffic (going somewhere else to feed).

I know you have work commitments etc but recon, recon and more recon is needed. You can have the best decoy pattern ever (whatever that might be) but if you're in the wrong spot then you'll get nowt.

There is no perfect pattern anyway - each situation requires different set-ups.

Sounds like your field was a bit barren but if you could find a flightline you might at least get more passing traffic or try to attract a few more targets.

A dozen decoys is enough to start your day.

It is more difficult if you can't do recon to see what activity is happening on the fields. that doesn't mean you can't do it on the day. Don't be in a hurry to set up, go round your permission/s and look for the best spot, sometimes there just isn't one!

A few birds on the ground doesn't mean you'll have a great day, even a few hundred and you can still have a poor day if there isn't a decent flow of birds coming and leaving that field. One option is to walk birds off (no gun) and then sit back to see if they trickle back in, if they don't then it possibly isn't where you want to be.

There's a reason why you'll see the seasoned shooters here regularly getting good bags, it has little to do with their decoys and a lot to do with them knowing when and where to set up. Ask questions, read loads and slowly you will build your own methods on how to have good days out.

Cos

I've had the same fifteen flock coated shells for the last fifteen years. If I have dead birds of course I use them for the rotary or the floaters.

They are only sold in dozens, where did you nick the other three?

:)

Twenty. Because I can't move as fast as I used to, unless I'm forced to I don't like faffing about while shooting so try to make it easy. I mount the full bodied decoys on dead bird cradles at an appropriate height to the crop/stubble - this so you know where they (cradles) are and then it's just a few seconds to swap the decoys over with shot birds as and when.

I will favour taking two defrosted dead birds for the magnet only, rather than 12 plastic decoys.

Had most of my best bags starting with just the rotary with dead birds on.

Same here, this set up should start you off building a pattern of dead birds. If passing birds don't come to the magnet with deads then your in the wrong field.

Recon etc is difficult when you have to work, but a good session can still be had after work at this time of year.

Good luck.

my plan of action will be to do more extensive reconnaissance before setting up. would it be more reliable to make judgement on the morning of going shooting or is it possible to make a decision based on seeing the birds on the ground the day before? the reason i ask is that i could use time after work for recon rather than using up that time on the day of the shoot.

Edited by wokkywokky