Lessons learnt today...

spandit

...when getting a Suzuki Jimny stuck in the middle of a field:

1) stock fencing does not make a good improvised ground mat, unless you really like cutting tangled stock fencing wire out from underneath a car that is already up to its axles in thick mud

2) a 12mm polypropylene rope, whilst giving you the length you require (in combination with 2 recovery straps and a thicker rope and 30m of winch cable) stretches a LONG way before it snaps (with a Hell of a bang!)

3) Putting a ratchet strap around a tyre does not magically transform your car into one of these:

1_39e111efac48e62ec90d7a3900000a27.jpg

It generally just makes it a more efficient digger

4) Reducing tyre pressure leaves you with a stuck car in the middle of the field with flat tyres

5) A winch is a surprisingly effective way of removing a fencepost that is driven in a couple of feet

6) a 3" willow sapling is surprisingly strong - can pull a Jimny out sideways!

Of course, it didn't start raining until I had to get out of the cab to start the recovery process... I now have all my fence posts and wire dumped in the middle of the field and I'll have to carry them by hand

1B02101A-9CF0-4A8C-AD27-14E151D26DF9.jpg

I was in this situation back in december at 11pm at night. After lots of efforts I gave in and called a fellow shooter with a 4x4 for some help. Iv not been so glad to have help like that in a long time. How ever we did use man power to free the jimny not his 4x4, the releif was imense and amso greatful to the lad Chris and his brother for giving help :good:

Should of bought a land rover

I said I got stuck, wouldn't want to break down as well... :)

A Jimny is like a mini Landie underneath anyway - a Landrover is heavier & would have got stuck just as much although I suppose difflock might have helped

A Jimny is like a mini Landie underneath anyway - a Landrover is heavier & would have got stuck just as much although I suppose difflock might have helped

And the landy is heavier to recover !

Only hope would be it was broke down before you got stuck which there is every chance of.

Don't worry it was a joke..thought I would get in their before the lady boys did. Looking at that field it seems regardless what you were driving it would of got stuck.

Annoying but also quite good fun getting it out I would imagine.

Don't worry it was a joke..thought I would get in their before the lady boys did. Looking at that field it seems regardless what you were driving it would of got stuck.

Annoying but also quite good fun getting it out I would imagine.

Wasn't as fun as you'd think :)

I used to have a Defender but sold it when I got the Pinzgauer :D Unfortunately the Pinz doesn't run and the Hilux has road tyres so I had to self recover. Thinking about investing in a ground anchor!

Only one way across that sort of ground ........... SPEED. But of course, you don't know that until you bog down, then it's to late. With a Landy you do have one method of trying it out, open diff in - diff lock back out. (Don't spin wheels in open diff, it destroys the centre diff)