Smoaked game - Whats best ?

Salop Matt

Forgot to say don't bother with expensive smokers, a basic kettle BBQ with a very small fire lit on one side and food on the other works very well. I have in the past used a metal dust bin with a grill for the meat supported by bolts through the side, the height of the bin makes it easier to keep the temperature down around the food so long as you only use a small fire.

There is a great book by a man named Erlandson,"home smoking" this shows loads of D.I.Y projects,easiest hot smoker is a garden incinerator,modified in ten minutes,others include a filing cabinet,ammo boxes Etc. A great read,loads of info.

There is a great book by a man named Erlandson,"home smoking" this shows loads of D.I.Y projects,easiest hot smoker is a garden incinerator,modified in ten minutes,others include a filing cabinet,ammo boxes Etc. A great read,loads of info.

+1 very good book.

There are two types of smoking; hot and cold, I have a meths burner run hot smoker (big sardine tin) which is great for mackerel and hot smoked pigeon breasts and a home made cold smoker which I use for everything else. You can often get sides of salmon cheap and it's well worth doing your own smoked salmon, pigeon works well as does pheasant and of course bacon- I've never tried venison but I'm sure that would be superb. My favourite thing to make is pigeon biltong (smoked or unsmoked) :good:

Duck - End of!!!

It's the best thing out there bar none.

Depends if you are hot or cold smoking - If you're hot smoking, then you're cooking it at the same time, just very slowly and getting the smoke in there. If you're cold smoking you're only adding smoke flavour to something.

There is tons of stuff online about brining, curing etc and as said, it can all be accomplished for pennies - You can go and buy a Weber Smokey Mountain or get a cardboard box and smoke through that.

Good stuff to smoke - Garlic and chilis - Makes a relish/sauce to die for. Bacon - Go get some pork belly, give it a days cure in salt and brown sugar and then smoke it, slice thin and have that on a Sunday morning!!

Starting off, go and buy smoking dust from garden centres or some supermarkets and work your way up to chunks - Fruit wood is the best, especially apple, but cedar and oak are also good (although oak gives a strong smoke). Don't smoke over anything resiny or the food gets engulfed in acrid horrible smoke and just stinks - Eucalyptus is quite special for that!!

And if you've only got a gas bbq, make envelopes from foil with the dust inside, pierce once and leave on top of the gas.

Only thing I would caution on is fish - Home smoked mackerel or herring is lovely, but it makes your garden fence stink whenever it rains

Metal biscuit cracker type tin with a cake rack in the bottom. Been used on riverbanks and fields for years. Put your wood clippings or saw dust in bottom place rack over and put your desired meat on it fit lid and place on top of embers or camp stove.

You can buy stainless steel smokers with sliding lids and rack inside.

Jack Daniels smoking chips are nice, very very nice. Never know to put them in smoker of suck the bloody things.

Smoked duck breast is mouth wateringly good along with Salmon and Rainbow Trout. Pork shoulder roll with garlic and herbs and spices rolled in is very good.

Edited by figgy