Calling "Forward!" when birds are flushed

Jim Neal

Seems to be a very common occurrence. I don't mind it at all. I shout over if a gun isn't looking and I know the people I'm shooting with which has given rise to some excellent snap shots.

My biggest issue is where a keeper tells the guns to "fill their boots" or to "get stuck in to what ever is in front of them" simply to fill the bag quicker (with no regard for any gentleman's agreements already in place) encouraging people to over shoot.

Edited by OJW

Seems to be a very common occurrence. I don't mind it at all. I shout over if a gun isn't looking and I know the people I'm shooting with which has given rise to some excellent snap shots.

My biggest issue is where a keeper tells the guns to "fill their boots" or to "get stuck in to what ever is in front of them" simply to fill the bag quicker with no regard for any gentleman's agreements already in place, encouraging people to over shoot.

+1 :good:

I have called when in the beating line on my previous syndicate following what everyone else did, probably in a attempt to add a few extra birds to the bag.

On the posh days I've had away, my loader has always spotted for me :whistling: and then she has showed me up by shooting better than me :lol:

Can't say I have heard any calling on the large bag days, apart from rapid blasts on a whistle on a partridge day to warn of large flushes.

The rest would have been gentle tapping with sticks and clapping of hands or cracks of a flag, that was until a unruly dog added to the mix :oops:

As others have said stick tapping, flagging and dog commands.

If I'm on a peg then it's often with friends / family who on adjacent pegs may shout up, woodcock is always shouted too.

I agree with others though, if a gun is day dreaming it's his or her loss! As for being on a mobile phone...disgrace!

I call on some drives and dont on other drives, on one drive there are duck coming from every direction as they have been pushed from the ponds and river and there are a good number of pheasant from a wood, on this drive it can be helpful for the guns as they know to face the wood rather than scaning the skies for duck but on most other i say silent. I always call when a fox goes forward as the farmer wants them all dead!

Edited by 14Supersport04

Very interesting to hear peoples' opinions and experiences, thanks a lot guys :)

I don't think anything will be enforced either way on our shoot. As stated in more than one reply, we are sometimes scraping the bottom of the barrel for birds to make the numbers up, especially with a season like the one we've just had, so it seems a big shame that someone could miss a bird due to genuinely being distracted and looking the wrong way at the wrong time. Giving a shout can make the difference between a blank drive or not in my opinion.

Any beater who shouts on the shoot near me gets told not to come back for 2 weeks. You don't need people shouting.

Must have a lot of beaters unemployed in your area. Rather think that round us any keeper who was that rude would end up with no beaters fairly soon and then where would his shoot be.

David.

We tend to shout "over" or "back" on our syndicate. Been beating on shoots where tapping a stick is the only noise allowed and others where you are encouraged to make plenty noise. I prefer these as I spend most of my time shouting on my spaniel lol

Also depends on how many brushers you can afford and need on a particular drive..

If you only have 8 and need 20 then they need to be a bit vocal.

Some of our drives sound like the Luton Girls Choir going through the woods.

Others you don't hear a sound except sticks.

Also depends on how many brushers you can afford and need on a particular drive..

If you only have 8 and need 20 then they need to be a bit vocal.

Some of our drives sound like the Luton Girls Choir going through the woods.

Others you don't hear a sound except sticks.

Pray tell me how you know what the Luton Girls Choir sounds like.

Hi

Depends on the shoot really smaller ones with youngsters in the line always good fun for them and makes for a fun day with a smaller bag nothing like a bunch of kids cheering a good bird that beat the guns 😊

Personally I think tapping is all that's needed with a few good flagers

Especially if you're paying a lot of money for the day

Worst is the gun on the next peg calling birds that you've seen and left because there unsafe or not sporting

Just my thoughts

All the best

Of

I don't mind it if its a shout of 'over' or 'back' if the gun is in a particularly tight spot and won't be able to see birds as easily, however what does grind my gears is when a bird gets up and the whole line are screaming 'over' like a bunch of muppets two small shoots I go to do this.... Some of the lads who are the worst offenders can be heard on the next door shoot screaming your lungs out to me is terrible, I usually ask beaters on my shoot to only call for a back gun or if a fox gets up, I always wonder what passing walkers and the like think when they see a nice smart line of guns having a good time at some sporting birds whilst the beaters are screaming themselves hoarse at the slightest thing that moves

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Must admit i couldnae care less, it would take more than someone shouting to spoil a days shooting, not that i stand very often.

It depends on shoot and wot i'm doing beating or picking up, normally i'd shout the very early ones until drive is going well or shout any sneaking out side by either left/right or shouting peg numbers usually 1 or 8/9 or on my small shoot the guns names.

1 drive i pick up on if i'm in my usual place i usually warn 1 peg as it is a bad place to spot them but from my picking up spot can see them leave the flushing point but t depends how the gun is getting on mibee leave a few unwarned and see if he picks up on them. But i'm not screaming it at top of my lungs

When been loading on the grouse a lot of the better more experienced shots will whistle warnings to there neighbours if they spot birds coming esp early in the drive

• 3 weeks later...

It is a bit disconcerting when a bird gets up from some cover and heads towards a line and all the guns start yelling, ******* and blinding and then all proceed to attempt to shot it, even if it is going over a gun four or five guns down the line and little much above head height !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been there, but only once :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

It can help to wind up a gun who is shooting badly and cant get out of the shooting. A back if you are a back gun can be handy as you may be walking but a forward is not normally needed, the noise can also disturb other birds on the point of flushing so you can get a dozen birds all going over one peg together.

A

• 7 months later...