Wigeon Whistle

grahamch

I agree with you subsonic , but as you get older calling by mouth is not so easy in hitting the right pitch and after shooting hundreds of mouth called wigeon I now find its better in cold weather to use with a brass caller. The same goes for goose calling.

My wigeon call made of two steel cartridge ends has rusted too much to use again so am looking for a new one.

Any suggestions where I can get one made of old brass cartridge ends or an alternatice sort of calls?

Cheers

pm me your name and address and I will put you one in the post next week.

Regards

H

Quite cheap at 8.40 will also try one. Now a wee question is it worth going for the likes of a dj wooden double reed? I have a primos crow call and a sam neyt and I know the sam to neyt to me sounds way better so wondered if this applies to duck calls also?

My personal opinion, which is truly biased, would be not to touch a DJ duck call with a bargepole.

I can explain why if you`re interested.

Try one from Matt Kirk at www.mpkcustomcallsandwoodwork.com

Go to the You tube link for lot`s of instructional stuff.

Edited by mudpatten

My personal opinion, which is truly biased, would be not to touch a DJ duck call with a bargepole.

I can explain why if you`re interested.

Try one from Matt Kirk at www.mpkcustomcallsandwoodwork.com

Go to the You tube link for lot`s of instructional stuff.

I think there should be a duck and goose calling competition to see how all the different calls fare ;);):innocent:

Best wishes

H

edited to say to include the "hand callers"

Edited by harrycatcat1

You don't need real brass shell ends - very easy to make these things. However the brass trumpet is way easier to blow ( suck actually)

Either of these beats any plastic thing from the states imo

Mouth calling is fine up until your real cold or in need of a drink etc. Much easier on the sofa at home or after a short walk from the car. Than a windy evening after a 40 min trudge

Best tip is teach the dog you blowing a widgeon call is to be ignored or seen as a sign that good things are soon to appear

Some guy sat near to me on the marsh last season and I am sure he thought he was in the word pinkfoot calling championship :no:

We all have them Fenboy! :no:

I appreciate the effectiveness of calling in some situations and saw a stunning example of this on the Tay last season, but frankly some who use calls just need to learn when to shut up.