A report that's brief

Mightymariner

JDog asked me to write this so clearly I can put my spin on it.

With a good forecast, well it wasn't raining, we decided on a little outing this afternoon.

I had a few options up my sleeve, all OSR as the drillings have finished for a while.

We did a tour of a few spots, and ended up on some poor rape which the birds had returned to in the last week.

There were quite a few around and they drifted back once we had put them up. I wasn't too confident as I know this has been shot many times but JDog was keen to have a go, so we picked a spot each. Him with his back to a nice hedge and closest to the flightline, me beneath a dead tree 200 yards away.

At least I could put some lofters up in the tree and after the first bird came screaming in, which I dropped, I thought this was a good spot. How wrong I was.

Meanwhile, JDog was doing well, shooting from the off with birds from his left and straight from behind spiraling into his decoys and rotary. I witnessed a couple of very high birds and some nicely decoyed ones too.

The few that came near me passed well wide, heading elsewhere. I had a few wild shots, more out of boredom but my shooting got so bad I stopped, Still, I was able to see Johnny was getting some shooting, and when we packed up he had a nice 24 on the ground. Birds were still coming in when we left and I have no doubt this will be a good spot when all the drilling is done and the rape really gets away.

MM has some great ground and I have been the lucky recipient of some nice outings. This afternoon was just what I needed after a flood in the house with bathroom carpets ripped out and water running down the stairs.

Oh dear , did the butler leave the taps on ?