Rav4 issue.

Penelope

I have an 05 Rav4 turbo diesel D4-D, with 90k on the clock. On the weekend when out and about I had an issue with a lack of power and a drop in speed (even with foot to the floor) only for the power to pick up again. This happened quite a few times on Saturday.

I'm certainly no mechanic, so have no idea what the problem is, so any help would be great in diagnosing. I hoping it's not the turbo.

Most likely : Fuel filter, air filter. If not those then possibly EGR or one of the sensors (airflow sensor, throttle position sensor, etc).

However, any reasonably competent garage should be able to read off any stored fault codes and give you an idea, rather than you playing parts bingo.

It's a common fault on them it's the 2 svc sensors on the fuel pump £170 or less on eBay.they will take you an hour max to change.mine did it and went into limp mode but garages will say it's the turbo when it isn't.the engine management light will stay on for 2 days but when it happens turn the ignition off for 30secs then start it back up and you will have your power back.

I'm not getting any lights up on the dash when it occurs.

It's a common fault on them it's the 2 svc sensors on the fuel pump £170 or less on eBay.they will take you an hour max to change.mine did it and went into limp mode but garages will say it's the turbo when it isn't.the engine management light will stay on for 2 days but when it happens turn the ignition off for 30secs then start it back up and you will have your power back.

I'm not getting any lights up on the dash when it occurs.

Normally the engine management light would come on as it sends it in to limp mode.but that's what causes the problem them 2 sensors on the pump.like i said it's a common problem and Toyota won't do anything about it.go on YouTube and it will show you a man changing them on a Toyota Corolla.

hands up,you got me.first issue in 85,000.

I even have dry block paving beneath the car-can you imagine, as an ex LR owner, how alone that makes me feel.

f.

Ah, you mean LR's externally visual oil level warning, if it doesn't leak then it's empty :lol: Having said that, my Disco doesn't leak a drop ............. most odd :hmm:

I have an 05 Rav4 turbo diesel D4-D, with 90k on the clock. On the weekend when out and about I had an issue with a lack of power and a drop in speed (even with foot to the floor) only for the power to pick up again. This happened quite a few times on Saturday.

I'm certainly no mechanic, so have no idea what the problem is, so any help would be great in diagnosing. I hoping it's not the turbo.

Only just seen this thread!!

Iv a 55 Rav4, and have been through the same thing - your problem is the SCV's (Suction Control Valves) on the fuel pump. There's 2 of them, and they are £90-£100 each, then garage time on top of that.

Only just seen this thread!!

Iv a 55 Rav4, and have been through the same thing - your problem is the SCV's (Suction Control Valves) on the fuel pump. There's 2 of them, and they are £90-£100 each, then garage time on top of that.

Do you know if the Freelander 1 TD4 has the same set up? Mine has the same symptoms as the op's.