BASS

TONY R

I am as bitter as the next man on the new laws, but we just got to get on with it i am afraid.

Obviously it went back but still enjoyed every second of it, Want things to get going start lure fishing for them.

We have loads of bass down here. More than a northern monkey like you would catch in a life time.

We have loads of bass down here. More than a northern monkey like you would catch in a life time.

I dont doubt that for one moment, was a time not that long ago when it was generaly acepted there were few Bass in the north eastern areas, but they are out there and think they were always there, just that no body tried for them up here very much.

As a north east angler who targets bass I fully understand the need for conservation measures, however the rules that have been brought in are somewhat draconian.

There are changes that could have easily been made that would have made more sense and likely found approval amongst anglers.

I think a slight increase in the minimum size would be one change I would welcome another would be targeting people who deliberately go after large numbers of undersized bass and sell them on to restaurants. Perhaps a closed season on fishing in known breeding areas may help.

I dont doubt that for one moment, was a time not that long ago when it was generaly acepted there were few Bass in the north eastern areas, but they are out there and think they were always there, just that no body tried for them up here very much.

How far north do you fish, I go up as far as amble. Mate of mine tries up as far as Alnmouth.

I think a slight increase in the minimum size would be one change I would welcome another would be targeting people who deliberately go after large numbers of undersized bass and sell them on to restaurants. Perhaps a closed season on fishing in known breeding areas may help.

Re your last point, it won't - or to be more precise, it hasn't where I am. What would work very well is if 'SEA' bass was banned from restaurant menus for, say, 5 years. I am aware that many are farmed imports, but all too many are not.

Re your last point, it won't - or to be more precise, it hasn't where I am. What would work very well is if 'SEA' bass was banned from restaurant menus for, say, 5 years. I am aware that many are farmed imports, but all too many are not.

Thanks for the input about closed season for fishing. At the very least restaurants should be asked to prove the provenance of any bass they use.

. At the very least restaurants should be asked to prove the provenance of any bass they use.

Don't think that'll happen as the restaurant would have to delete the "freshly caught local produce" bit from their menu.

Damned stupid anyway as they mess about with it and the gullible that choose the 'must have' "SEA" bass haven't a clue what one really tastes like. Caught, home, filleted, some flour to stop it sticking, drop of oil in the frying pan and a couple of minutes each side and served with a couple of slices of bread and butter all with in a couple of hours. That really is Michelin starred.

I'd be happy to see conservation measures for bass if it was a level playing field. However, when commercial trawlers can take tons and the sporting angler is allowed none, any fish returned by anglers is a drop in the ocean. Rod and line fishermen also return undersized fish wheres trawlers haul everything in dead. Seems crazy to me and it would do more for conservation if only line caught bass were allowed to be landed and sold.

As a north east angler who targets bass I fully understand the need for conservation measures, however the rules that have been brought in are somewhat draconian.

There are changes that could have easily been made that would have made more sense and likely found approval amongst anglers.

i cant see size limits making much difference if there is no one to keep an eye on the commercial boats,around my area the commercial boys are keeping salmon and sewin(sea trout) so i dought they would return undersize bass :hmm:

I dont take many Bass home, most go back i quite often think those silvers are far too bony to take home, and a quick raise and lower of their dorsal fins as me releasing them unharmed.

Not a softie or anything like that i think its how the vast majority of shore anglers view them anyway.

Quite why they stopped us taking them is a mystery to me numbers taken in reallity by the average shore angler of my experience would be rediculously low.

Bas are slow growers a nice 5lb Bass probably took around 11 years to get there, makes you think twice before deciding to keep it, sure most shore anglers are the same.

Not sure what fueld the curent legislation exactly, but i have whitnessed drunks on cromer pier pulling out everything they could one evening, where as we had been at trimingham and removed not one Bass the same day. Shame some people cant just be responsible themselves without needing laws to bully them into acting in a right and proper way.

I remember an article once by a fishing journalist, he noticed a couple of anglers fishing on north Shields fish Quay and they had about 15 undersized fish mainly flatties but a few cod laid out on the ground. He asked them what was the point of catching and killing such small fish, we're having a competition they replied. Why don't you catch and release he asked, listen we've bought the bait we can do what we want with what we catch.

I've also been fishing on blyth pier and seen competition anglers catch small whiting and just kill them before throwing them back, when asked why I got told they're just bait thieves.