DIY silencer

Bobba

As a "project" I'm trying to improve on my Air Arms standard silencer.

I've acquired a hand made silencer i.e. not a commercial product. The metal bits are good quality. The inside is four compartments separated by 3 washers. Each compartment has a hair roller with some sort of fibre glass cotton wool wrapped around it.

Does anyone have any suggestions please on changes I could make to the innards to improve its "quietness"?

Thanks.

Are you trying to improve the AA one IR the hand made one?

The HW uses the hair roller type system to good effect (2 washers so 3 comparments) so I'm not sure how to improve the latter.

Often changing the internals will alter the pitch/quality of the sound rather than the actual dB.

in the old days we used to make silencers for single barrel 410...remove the sight...copper pipe with loads of holes in it then push it thro a colmans mustard tin full of worn out brillo pads then tap it gently onto the barrel.......took many a "nightime pheasant" with that design

Is this to fit onto an airgun? if so, the air blast has to be slowed down rather than cooled as would be the case with a burnt charge. I have played about with silencers quite a bit and I've had good results with a combo of differing chambers EG short,long then wire wool or aluminium swarf from lathe. This both slow and cools. It's all down to slowing and tumbling. It's good fun experimenting with stuff. All sorts of stuff can be used for baffles such as rubber, leather and plastic along with metal.

Is this to fit onto an airgun? if so, the air blast has to be slowed down rather than cooled as would be the case with a burnt charge. I have played about with silencers quite a bit and I've had good results with a combo of differing chambers EG short,long then wire wool or aluminium swarf from lathe. This both slow and cools. It's all down to slowing and tumbling. It's good fun experimenting with stuff. All sorts of stuff can be used for baffles such as rubber, leather and plastic along with metal.

Thanks one and all for your comments.

Yes, it is to go on my AA s410. I like the idea of dabbling for best effect. There's a YouTube clip where wire wool is used. I have a load of it from when I reworked my 20 bore stock so using this will be my MK1. I've suitable metal washers for the baffles.

Bob

The thing about using wire wool is that you have to have a central bore tube to keep the stuff up out of the bore line or the bullet will just hit the stuff and get jammed up and if it is the fine stuff it kind of either disintegrates or is so tight packed that there is no expansion space. the best stuff is sort of pan scourers type size swarf but it still has to have a central ported type of tube to hold it out of the bore line. A rubber baffle at the muzzle end with a small hole is good to slow gas outlet. I think that the best silencer ever was fitted to the welrod pistol. have a look at youtube and google images for ideas. When experimenting all sorts of ideas can be used. I've even used thick cardboard as baffles but they don't last long but you can cut hundreds out of a cardboard box and if the tube comes apart quickly you can soon swap for new ones, Take pictures and record what you do for reference. I made a very good silencer out of a piece of plastic waste pipe and plastic screw bungs. Be thoughtful of how you hold the silencer onto the end of your barrel so that you don't take all of the blacking off of the barrel and how centralized the bore and silencer bore are. If they are not inline it will shoot off of target. don't look down barrel to align use a rod. it is more accurate and you don't have a silly accident.

PS when I used the cardboard it was the corrugated stuff and the tube was just filled up solid and the tubes in the corrugations were the expansion areas. simple and cheap. if the bullet hit the baffle if was soft anyway but it became inaccurate.

Edited by fortune

I often wonder why? Std airguns sint exactly loud even with a cheapo one

No real reason. Perhaps like climbing mountains - because they're there. I picked up this silencer that fits the Air Arms and thought I'd see if I can get it quieter than the standard one. HTH

A rubber baffle at the muzzle end with a small hole is good to slow gas outlet. I think that the best silencer ever was fitted to the welrod pistol.

The Welrod I had back in pistol days was not that impressive.

The swipe baffles idea (at the muzzle end) probably had sound reduction benefits but it ruined downrange performance....both in my Welrod & in the De Lisles carbines I tried, plus the baffles needed regular replacement.

A lose lose if ever there was one....

• 5 months later...

If you make different lengths of silencing chamber, they will each silence different wavelengths of sound... silencers are a hobby unto themselves!! For air rifles I have found that the old hair curler plastic and some stiff felt is the best and easiest..

I have found that the old hair curler plastic and some stiff felt is the best and easiest.

What does this mean? Can you explain what and how this is. I can't visually imagine this.

Were you guys out stealing your old mums curlers back in the day? I always loved the bang of a drop of diesel in the back of my pellets in my youth, then running away when heard by all and sundry. Funny, I never thought of getting a silencer then, that was a bit too James Bond for me and my oppo's, only now to appease the nouveau country folk do we have to fit moderators

I have found that the old hair curler plastic and some stiff felt is the best and easiest.

What does this mean? Can you explain what and how this is. I can't visually imagine this.

Fortune,

I have tried to upload a pic to show you but was unable. go to Google - Images & type "hair roller gun silencer" there are some showing exactly what they look like.

I made a few some years back with the minimal amount of tools, i.e. hacksaw, file, dril and locktite.

My method can be found on Uk Chinese Airgun Forum. Under "Fancy making your own silencer". Page 20

Scroll down this link.

http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/ftopic4418-0-asc-190.php

Edited by Paladin

I made a few some years back with the minimal amount of tools, i.e. hacksaw, file, dril and locktite.

My method can be found on Uk Chinese Airgun Forum. Under "Fancy making your own silencer". Page 20

Scroll down this link.

http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/ftopic4418-0-asc-190.php

The link only takes me to a sign in page for username and password. I did manage to do a search with. fancy making your own silencer but nothing specific came back in the search.

I still havent found the time to research about the haircurler silencer yet

Edited by fortune

Yep I can see you have to be logged in to have access via that link.

If you go onto their forum scroll down to Help & Ideas select Hints and tips - DIY projects you'll see a Sticky : Fancy Making Your Own Silencer

Page 20 shows My pics on how I made mine.

Hope this helps.