pbs

Shotguneddy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest bag was 219 on rape stubble last harvest in my third season ... had a cracking day but no time to do anything but shoot. I think a 100 is more than enough for me!

there is some truth there...........when i shot 97 i was busy and i got cold and wet..........much rather shoot regular trade and have a coffee and a sarni and remember the shots i had and end up with 50-70 birds......

I know exactly what you mean ditchman , but there must have been a time when you were there to get the maximum number you could get and if it meant shooting non stop , well so be it , we have all been there, now if I pour a coffee out and a pigeon comes in ( which it often do as if by magic ) the coffee now have priority .

How strange , we often hear the Wood Pigeon is one of the finest sporting birds in this country and the vast majority of us do it for sport and yet when we are shooting stubbles and a pigeon come in land , say 20 / 25 yards away then the numbers game kicks in and a shot is put across it which lets be honest isn't one of the hardest shots in the world to shoot a sitting pigeon , so why do we do it ? , the pigeons are not doing a lot of harm and yet a lot of people ( myself included in the past ) go past the stage of having a good days sport and shoot as many as they can , sitting or flying just to say they got a big bag .

We are sure to get posts saying they do it because the farmers want as many shot as possible , or if i don't shoot them somebody else will but I can honestly say , I have never had a farmer say to me I want you to shoot as many as possible on the stubbles , in fact there was a time when on the estate where I shoot that once the crop was off you left them alone , they said while the pigeons are on the stubbles then they are leaving the other standing crops alone .

I think in general, farmers want shooters to kill as many pigeons as they can, however they can. It is slightly flawed logic to leave pigeons alone on stubbles as they are doing no damage - that same stubble could be drilled with rape, which then gets hammered by the same group of birds.

I know exactly what you mean ditchman , but there must have been a time when you were there to get the maximum number you could get and if it meant shooting non stop , well so be it , we have all been there, now if I pour a coffee out and a pigeon comes in ( which it often do as if by magic ) the coffee now have priority .

How strange , we often hear the Wood Pigeon is one of the finest sporting birds in this country and the vast majority of us do it for sport and yet when we are shooting stubbles and a pigeon come in land , say 20 / 25 yards away then the numbers game kicks in and a shot is put across it which lets be honest isn't one of the hardest shots in the world to shoot a sitting pigeon , so why do we do it ? , the pigeons are not doing a lot of harm and yet a lot of people ( myself included in the past ) go past the stage of having a good days sport and shoot as many as they can , sitting or flying just to say they got a big bag .

We are sure to get posts saying they do it because the farmers want as many shot as possible , or if i don't shoot them somebody else will but I can honestly say , I have never had a farmer say to me I want you to shoot as many as possible on the stubbles , in fact there was a time when on the estate where I shoot that once the crop was off you left them alone , they said while the pigeons are on the stubbles then they are leaving the other standing crops alone .

183 7years ago in Yorkshire over pea stubble, my dad was in a smaller field a few hundred yards behind, he shot and picked 184. I was very happy with my count until I counted his and found myself one shy of his bag. He shot many bags alot bigger before I was old enough to pick up a gun.

My most memorable is my biggest roost shooting bag of 64...with an old 20gauge a303 (which I really regret ever selling)

I think in general, farmers want shooters to kill as many pigeons as they can, however they can. It is slightly flawed logic to leave pigeons alone on stubbles as they are doing no damage - that same stubble could be drilled with rape, which then gets hammered by the same group of birds.

Totally agree with you, when they've cleaned up any remaining seeds from thoose fields at harvest there going to be looking for there next meal. Perfect time to give them a hammering before mateyboy starts drilling for next year, my personal best bag came about a week after harvest and probably similar times to all these massive bags you here on here for most pw members to, there not doing damage but it's not long before they are, i say try and kill them all before they get the chance but sve some for drilling time, still got to have our sport

Edited by Shotguneddy

126 crows on chicken waste when they let the farmers plough it in (banned now) 101 on pigeons with loads of 70 plus .but i had 15 on a flight line yesterday flying high over a spinney into some drilling in 2 hours and enjoyed that just as much every shot was a good one loved it .

PBS on pigeons is 45. PBS on crows was 117 on grass seed. Off to Africa end of May and hoping for a pb on lots of different species.

I used to think 5 birds made a good day then 20 and so on. Now a good day is weather company views etc. still count the numbers though.

Edited by oowee