V10 Toureg

dodeer

The V10 Toureg is some motor. Coincidentally, very late evening midnight, a V10 and a Porsche (not sure of engine) overtook me on the A31 as it passes Farnham. As we all approached the traffic lights there both vehicle lined up side by side and I knew what was going down. At yellow/amber both engines went into melt down and right on green they departed. Just unbelievable engine sounds from both. The V10 got the drop on the Porsche and for about 200 metres was a bonnet length up. I then lost sight of the pair as they rounded a bend but estimated by that distance they were well over a 100mph. To this day I would have loved to have seen who got to the Coxbridge Roundabout first.

I own a V10 Touareg alongside my L200.

I bought the V10 second hand 7 years ago, mine is a 53 reg. but I have it on a private plate (to diguise its age! Hah, no not really - I put it on a private plate because I discovered the reg. V10 JGR was available from DVLA for £245.00 and those are my three initials!)

I do less than 5000 miles a year in it because the L200 is my daily driver, mainly weekend and longer trips.

It is blisteringly quick for such a hefty beast and an absolute pleasure to drive and travel in - very comfortable and effortless.

The quality of finish is excellent and it is luxurious inside.

I run mine on AT tyres because I do use it offroad on occasion and it is extremely capable - Ive towed through thick, deep mud and even rescued a 'Recovery' lorry from a muddy field once!

Don't use it offroad routinely though because it is too precious to me to get it too messed up - the L200 has that role!

As far as economy goes - you don't buy a V10 to get good MPG! I have, hand-on-heart, never actually bothered to work out what its MPG is but it is thirsty and I would guess around 20 to 25 MPG but when you floor it, it's in single figures!

Having said that, if you do low mileage in it - MPG is less important.

The only caveat about doing low mileage is that it doesn't like sitting around for long periods not being driven - best to take it out for runs of at least 20 miles per week if it is not being used regularly. This keeps the auxiliary battery (yes, it has 2 batteries!) topped up and gives all the fluids a swoosh around!

I've loved every minute of my V10 ownership but then I believe that not everything in life needs to make sense!

Cheers,

John.

If your already thinking about running costs and mpg I don't think I big heaavy v10 engined 4x4 is the car for you. There the type of motor you buy because you want one and not bother about the extra expense.

To get over twenty to the gallon you'd have to freewheel downhill around 18 mpg is more the norm.Have a read of online vw forums,they have loads of info on them. More modern big v8 and v10 will get better mpg but older ones don't have the technology.

I had a Gen 1 Cayenne GTS, combined was usually around 14MPG, best ever was 21MPG on a motorway run through a lot of average speed cameras, possibly slightly downhill, regularly below 10mpg through town or 'pressing on'

If you are going to keep for ever then great, but trying to sell on (although at the time oil was at a 10 year high) was like trying to sell someone Ebola.

Edited by ElvisThePelvis

A (very wealthy) friend of mine had a Cayenne 4.5, which he reckoned averaged 12 mpg. Maybe 15 on a run.

He got rid of it after a few months. The expense of running it wasn't the issue for him, he just didn't realise how hateful it was filling up all the time.

Also, some wise words I was always told :

The cost of maintaining a car is not related to what you paid for it, but what it cost when new.

So ask yourself if you can afford to run and maintain a £60k car which is starting to be worn out.

I have recently purchased an R5 2.5TDI Touareg and so far am loving it, its not too bad on fuel-getting an average of 32mpg at real world motorway speeds, and have covered nearly 5,000 miles in the last month of ownership, towing a caravan -- no problems at all, the car didn't seem to know it was there, not really been in the muddy stuff with it yet.

On the road it handles extremely well, just done a trip to Ravenglass in Cumbria from home in Derby, and through the twisty bits and narrow lanes managed to out do a new Rangie and Disco, its very comfortable and my misses even likes driving it.

I did consider the V10, but after having a test drive in one and reading a few horror stories about well known issues (Touareg forum) i decided against one as an every day car, but it was awesome.

Weve got a 2006 3.0 Touareg and I considered the V10 because it pulled a plane on 5th gear... however, I decided Id never really want to tow a passenger jet so opted for the smaller engine... :)

In reality though, I saw the workshop time for changing the turbo should it go and decided I didn't need to have an expense like that.

The touareg is comfy and has all the bells but I leave it for the missus purely because I must be wrong in the head and prefer the raw'ness of my defender which I tend to do about 20k a year with :)

I own a V10 Touareg alongside my L200.

I bought the V10 second hand 7 years ago, mine is a 53 reg. but I have it on a private plate (to diguise its age! Hah, no not really - I put it on a private plate because I discovered the reg. V10 JGR was available from DVLA for £245.00 and those are my three initials!)

I do less than 5000 miles a year in it because the L200 is my daily driver, mainly weekend and longer trips.

It is blisteringly quick for such a hefty beast and an absolute pleasure to drive and travel in - very comfortable and effortless.

The quality of finish is excellent and it is luxurious inside.

I run mine on AT tyres because I do use it offroad on occasion and it is extremely capable - Ive towed through thick, deep mud and even rescued a 'Recovery' lorry from a muddy field once!

Don't use it offroad routinely though because it is too precious to me to get it too messed up - the L200 has that role!

As far as economy goes - you don't buy a V10 to get good MPG! I have, hand-on-heart, never actually bothered to work out what its MPG is but it is thirsty and I would guess around 20 to 25 MPG but when you floor it, it's in single figures!

Having said that, if you do low mileage in it - MPG is less important.

The only caveat about doing low mileage is that it doesn't like sitting around for long periods not being driven - best to take it out for runs of at least 20 miles per week if it is not being used regularly. This keeps the auxiliary battery (yes, it has 2 batteries!) topped up and gives all the fluids a swoosh around!

I've loved every minute of my V10 ownership but then I believe that not everything in life needs to make sense!

Cheers,

John.

Never seen AT Tyres that are speed rated for that type of vehicle :no: nearest was Yokohama Geolanders - be very aware of an insurance faux pas :ninja::whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Heard very good things about the V10 toureg. Guy I bought my car off had one about 2005 reg. He loved it and has had it about 8 years now.

Porsche cayenne is a bag of ****. Friend of mine bought a brand new one and the engine blew up in 4 weeks. They gave him a new one for free and it broke down twice within 2 months. Needless to say he bought a range rover instead (although not sure that's much better! Haha)