Wire decoys?

Is it possible to make decoys out of wire if not any other good ways of making decoys any pictures of decoys that people have made would be helpful. Thanks

Can i ask why you want to make them? The best decoys are real birds, and shell decoys are cheap, compact and light......

I pick up shells from car boots, always cheap, then I buy sillosock covers for them, they are great , the only extra is a bit of white uv paint for the neck rings,

I made 20 wire cradles from some fence wire, then mount the shells on them, as I shoot birds I just swap them for the shells until I have all dead birds out, plus two more on the magnet, cheap and effective .

If you are tempted by the cheap stretch covers for decoys available on eBay, one word of caution, they are good but once fitted you can no longer stack the shells, I just cut the sock underneath and use contact adhesive to stick the loose edges to the underside of the shells, this way the covers are on permanently but at least I can still stack them in my bag,

Stretch covers or sillosock covers save me repainting the shells, which for me would be a disaster as I couldn't paint the front door let alone make a decoy look real. :yes::yes::yes:

Edited by lakeside1000

My very first decoys were shell decoys made from half round Grey plastic guttering , seat was a 5 gall plastic oil drum , hide poles were tile battens with a point on the bottom and a grove cut on the top , the cradles were made from fence wire , the ( floaters ) were a couple of fresh water fibre glass fishing rods , the only bought bit of equipment was a lump of M O D heavy netting , when I fired more than two boxes of cartridges , the cartridges cost more than all my gear put together .

If you can afford a gun , cartridges and running around the grounds where you intend to shoot the pigeons on you should be able to get enough cheap gear to make a start and then you can add the rest of pits and pieces when funds become available .

HF most of us use 5m x 1.5m if you are particularly tall you may need to increase from 1.5m to 2m.

Most people also carry more than one net and often these extra nets are 3m x 1.5m.

Fill in your profile and let us know where you are, then you might just find someone will invite you out.

As above , but if I was you , I would go for 5 meters x 1.5 x 3ply , this is nice and light and it is better to have it to long than not long enough , also you are coming to the time of year where there isn't any shortage of foliage to add to your hide .

By the sound of it , you are going to need a fair bit of help and as TIGHTCHOKE said let us know where you are based then a member near you might be willing to take you along to show you what is needed and sometimes what isn't .