Best time to set up for Pigeons & Crows

Jackk89

Evening everyone,

I have recently gained permission on 600 acres of farm land growing mainly rape and peas which I have seen hundreds if not thousands of pigeons and crows having a feast on.

However....I've been over 3 times and set up early (5.30am) in an area where I've seen plenty of both using as a flight line, I've had 4-10 birds but when leaving I have a look around and see hundreds of birds on other fields. My question is, if I got over later in the morning and saw which field they were feeding on and then set up there would I scare them off for the rest of the day?

Only been out in the field shooting a handful of times so any help is appreciated.

If they're determined to feed on a certain field, what should happen is you arrive, they all scare off and go sit in nearby trees for a while, then gradually the bravest ones start returning in ones, twos, threes....

Sitting on a flightline is next best thing if you can't find a field being fed on. But what you should do if they are feeding hard on a field is go and walk them off, tuck yourself away in the hedge at a good vantage point and then observe. If they come back, happy days, get the hide set up!

One thing to add, if there were a lot of them flying right over you and not stopping for a look, you might have to think about how natural your decoys look to them, or even how well hidden/camouflaged you are. I suppose it might depend on how spooky the pigeons are, if they have been shot at a lot in their lives or even just been scared away from somewhere else 10 minutes ago by someone trying to shoot them.

Trial and error. And patience!