Inland geese

Glenlivet

On a recently acquired permission in the middle of the Cheshire countryside the farmer wants me to dispose of a goose which is messing up his pond. I've told him I'd need to use steel shot (correct?) and I don't have a steel proofed gun. He's not happy ("just shoot the bloody thing in the head!!"). Any suggestions??

Edited to say I don't want to buy a steel proofed gun for one goose!!!

Edited by Glenlivet

You don't have to use steel shot, but you should use non-toxic shot.

You don't necessarily need a steel proofed gun to use steel shot.

You can only shoot Canada geese out of the normal wildfowling season.

I read the steel shot pinned thread which seemed a bit inconclusive.

Wildfowl are protected by many laws.

Careful my friend. Proceed with caution.

I was writing the comments mentioned by motty, above, when he pinged in and said them for me.

Thanks guys. Given all the issues I would prefer not to blast this goose on "it's" pond and think I will probably stick with the "steel shot" line. Also, the farmer's son is a member of the constabulary and may know more about shooting law than he lets on.

I do have a place for it at the Sunday dinner table though.....

From BASC

Canada geese

This species can be shot throughout the year (i.e. during the close season) in England, Wales and Scotland only under the terms and conditions of specific general licences

Sorry to Hijack, but this being the case, do Canadas need to be shot with non toxic? I was in a position this morning to shoot a couple that were eating recently drilled barley but only had copper coasted shot cartridges so left them alone.

Yes they do, as they are still wildfowl even if classed as an invasive non native species. A pity that they ever got designated as such really.

Sorry to Hijack, but this being the case, do Canadas need to be shot with non toxic? I was in a position this morning to shoot a couple that were eating recently drilled barley but only had copper coasted shot cartridges so left them alone.

Not sure how this is justified on the General licence, eating off the surface of the drilling. Sounds like killing for the sake of it.

Not sure how this is justified on the General licence, eating off the surface of the drilling. Sounds like killing for the sake of it.

Because they are eating the early stage recently drilled and sprouting crops, covered under crop protection, the General Licence is very clear, I can send you a link if you like.

If a canada and can therefore be shot on general licence either for crop protection or as an invasive species, can use any legal method.

I used to use 308 when doing control at frodsham but if you can get close a 22rf will also do the job.

Is it legal to use a firearm to shoot wildfowl?

If so can I use a 8 shot pump on the marsh 😗

Just curious

Of

Due to out of season shooting Canda Geese numbers have been severely reduced in a number of areas in the UK, some may consider this a good thing, others not. It's not illegal so you crack on, those two geese will have that whole field eaten in no time.

I see, well it's entirely legal and a pest/food so enough information for me to make an easy decision. Appreciate not all others feel the same which is the case with other cuddly little animals.