Inland geese

Glenlivet

Due to out of season shooting Canda Geese numbers have been severely reduced in a number of areas in the UK, some may consider this a good thing, others not. It's not illegal so you crack on, those two geese will have that whole field eaten in no time.

Appreciate your concerns, no issues with numbers around here. I'd be impressed if they could eat that field between two of them but they are doing as much damage as the crows who seems to pluck plants for the hell of it.

You are on the wrong part of the forum then, this is wildfowling not pest control.

Are you a professional pest controller then, you get paid for it?

i do a lot of pest control or farms for free, just nice to be outside. Don't try to get all high and mighty about wild fowling, shooting them for fun in the wild fowling season is no less morally questionable than shooting them as pests.

i do a lot of pest control or farms for free, just nice to be outside. Don't try to get all high and mighty about wild fowling, shooting them for fun in the wild fowling season is no less morally questionable than shooting them as pests.

So no you're not a pest controller just someone that enjoys shooting under the guise of pest control and pretend you doing for the good of agriculture and not for fun....

Wildfowling has always been for taking birds for the table.

Reason there are seasons, is to avoid shooting them in the breeding season, this is the start of the breeding season.

High and mighty or respectful of the countryside?

There is a world of difference between shooting geese in season when the birds are full grown and wild and well able to avoid wildfowlers, thus providing a test of a wildfowlers skills. Compared to shooting geese under the guise of pest control in the breeding season when the birds are very tame and are starting to lose the powers of flight with the forth coming moult.. It may be necessary to shoot or better scare geese with rockets to avoid serious crop damage at this time of year , but as the birds will be in poor condition compared with winter birds ( geese lose up to a third of their body weight in the breeding season ) and most are no good for the table. There is a world of difference morally in taking birds for the table in season and eating them and killing them at this time of year. killing a sitting bird coming off for a feed and causing the destruction of the whole brood and having to dump the body.

The effect 2 geese will have on the yield of a field of crops is very minor to say the least. If you have a hundred it will be a different story

Glenlivet

If you do not want to shoot the geese ask the farmer for some pigeon scaring rockets. They will soon move on after a few rockets are fired over their heads as long as they are not nesting.

Edited by anser2

There is a world of difference between shooting geese in season when the birds are full grown and wild and well able to avoid wildfowlers, thus providing a test of a wildfowlers skills. Compared to shooting geese under the guise of pest control in the breeding season when the birds are very tame and are starting to lose the powers of flight with the forth coming moult.. It may be necessary to shoot or better scare geese with rockets to avoid serious crop damage at this time of year , but as the birds will be in poor condition compared with winter birds ( geese lose up to a third of their body weight in the breeding season ) and most are no good for the table. There is a world of difference morally in taking birds for the table in season and eating them and killing them at this time of year. killing a sitting bird coming off for a feed and causing the destruction of the whole brood and having to dump the body.

The effect 2 geese will have on the yield of a field of crops is very minor to say the least. If you have a hundred it will be a different story

Glenlivet

If you do not want to shoot the geese ask the farmer for some pigeon scaring rockets. They will soon move on after a few rockets are fired over their heads as long as they are not nesting.

I'm seeing the farmer tomorrow and will make a decision based on what he says. Philm has kindly offered to lend me the necessary gear, if I can kill it legally and humanely then so be it.

I see, i don't shoot them for fun, just pest control.

have you tried any other method of moving these geese on . It's always a pity when people just want advice on dispatching geese out of season rather than ask on tips of how they can move them on first. Even though they are on the GL they are not in abundance such as other pest on the GL and in my opinion should be given a little more thought ( not respect ) than maybe a pigeon or rabbit that will breed basically all year. Edited by jayDT10

have you tried any other method of moving these geese on . It's always a pity when people just want advice on dispatching geese out of season rather than ask on tips of how they can move them on first. Even though they are on the GL they are not in abundance such as other pest on the GL and in my opinion should be given a little more thought ( not respect ) than maybe a pigeon or rabbit that will breed basically all year.

It seems everyone takes the easy option and just shoot them ,without trying other methods first ...I've often been called to deal with canadas out of season. . And not once have I used a gun or rifle ...

Some people need to think outside the box more instead of just taking the easy options. ..

Just saying .

It seems everyone takes the easy option and just shoot them ,without trying other methods first ...I've often been called to deal with canadas out of season. . And not once have I used a gun or rifle ...

Some people need to think outside the box more instead of just taking the easy options. ..

Just saying .

100% Agree with your comments Also myself having dealt/dealing in Goose problems for over 40 odd years i to have NEVER used a Lethal Method ( eg shooting ) close season

Went out this morning with the KFC s/a and some steel cartridges. Two geese removed and one happy farmer - job done.

Thanks for the input guys :good:

How would your happy farmer sorted the same problem out if the geese had been Swans ? , same size , same diet but hopefully not ending with the same result .