Silent Shooting

I had a call at approx 14.00 today " Urgent can you shoot these rooks today" the farmer was desperate for me to shoot the corvids which were pulling out the young wheat . I knew that DB would not want to waste Pigeon Time shooting corvids so I said yes. Now my crow decoys are all frozen in Quasimodo fashion in the freezer so I went out with just my calls and had my hide set up by 15.00. I knew that if I'd said no he would have called another shooter. When I arrived the field had about fifty birds all out in the middle of the field so I set up under a tree but if I'd got the wind off my back I would have been shooting into the sun so I set up the opposite way round. I managed to call a few Jackdaws and set them up wind of me so the birds would have to fly passed me to get to the decoys. I shot till 18.00 and in three hours I shot sixtyseven corvids with my Hushpower 12 bore . It was strange at first as I've increased the comb height and full choke took a bit of getting used to but as I let the birds get some distance from the hide I was hitting well. I text the farmer with the picture and enquired if he had any other seed , he said yes so we will be looking tomorrow.

47dfe714-04b3-4bbb-97aa-eb11eb4c382b_zps

Yes, I think the birds did not spook as they would with a normal gun. I managed a few doubles when they kept coming after the first shot. It will be interesting in the cereals in the summer if the pigeon numbers increase.

Pigeon numbers increase? 😮 you will need a tipper trailer for the Disco 😆

Rooks do very little harm to tweety birds ( if they happen across a nest ungarded fair enough) in my Experiance they don't seek them out

Crop is entirely different and that bag will have saved the farm a few quid and time - well done

Sorry but you are wrong. Young rooks often hang around with young Carrion crows and they pick up some of their nasty habits.

Good shooting!

The temptation for a hushpower is growing with me!

Not the easiest gun to sneak past the misus though!

Hushpower. Best thing I ever bout I've got a 410 ands it's no louder than an airgun. Light on the ears,houses and doesn't spook the other birds takes a bit of getting used to but still a good killing gun at 30 yards which for me makes it perfect for light decoying

Sorry but you are wrong. Young rooks often hang around with young Carrion crows and they pick up some of their nasty habits.

I have heard fly with the crows and your going to get shot at

To be honest I do see rooks with crows when they are both feeding on muck for the insects. I have seen one rook take an egg but hundreds of crows do that. Have also seen crows act pretty much like a hawk or rather clumsy falcon on smaller poor flying birds.

Rooks? Opertunity egg thieves yes nothing compared to crows not even close and they lack the beak to tear at flesh.