Semi auto

dob

I am probably well out of date with this but I was told today that all semi auto 10 ten shot .22 have to be handed in and destroyed along with any semi auto shotguns that hold more than 5 shots on an fac.

Is this just in Sussex or is this nation wide?

Pure BS. There was a motion in the EU Parliament in the wake of the Paris attacks to ban Semi Auto rifles/ shotguns, but that motion didn't even get past the debate stage. If your worried contact your FEO. I have a Semi- Auto shotgun- West Yorkshire and I haven't been told to hand mine in. It would be a change in law and that would affect the whole country. I don't know your friend, but it's possible he's using it as an excuse to save face. He could be handing it in for another reason!

Edited by Harry136

I will ask him but he has been a keeper for over30 years and has had his .22 semi auto for 25 years and and has no plans to start chopping his beloved .22 in but has been told by his FEO to hand it in, I will talk to him and find out what's going on.

I have spoken to a couple of mates , some of them are rifle nuts and they too have heard this ,it's not happening imminently but it is going to happen ,apperantly it may take a year or more but semi automatic weapons are going to be banned but only if they are over a certain shot capacity so watch this space.

His FEO ,I have emailed Sussex police firearms department for a definitive answer but like I say I have spoken to a couple of mates ,one of whom is a magistrate and a member of 2 rifle clubs who eats sleeps and breaths rifles and he too has heard this.

I have spoken to a couple of mates , some of them are rifle nuts and they too have heard this ,it's not happening imminently but it is going to happen ,apperantly it may take a year or more but semi automatic weapons are going to be banned but only if they are over a certain shot capacity so watch this space.

This is nonsense. The only relevant thing that's in the political pipeline either domestically or within the EU are the EC proposed amendments to Council Directive 91/477/EEC on control of the acquisition and possession of weapons. This would potentially affect semi-automatic firearms with certain features, but is currently in the process of revision and has not yet come to a vote.

I suggest you read up on the proposals and spend your time lobbying your MEPs rather than posting your mates' hearsay on PW.

Edited by A.J.P.

This is nonsense. The only relevant thing that's in the political pipeline either domestically or within the EU are the EC proposed amendments to Council Directive 91/477/EEC on control of the acquisition and possession of weapons. This would potentially affect semi-automatic firearms with certain features, but is currently in the process of revision and has not yet come to a vote.as I said previously his FEO told him!

I suggest you read up on the proposals and spend your time lobbying your MEPs rather than posting your mates' hearsay on PW.

As I said previously his FEO told him!

His FEO ,I have emailed Sussex police firearms department for a definitive answer but like I say I have spoken to a couple of mates ,one of whom is a magistrate and a member of 2 rifle clubs who eats sleeps and breaths rifles and he too has heard this.

Well, he needs to ask his FEO to quote WHICH LAW!

As I said previously his FEO told him!

And as I said: "The only relevant thing that's in the political pipeline either domestically or within the EU are the EC proposed amendments to Council Directive 91/477/EEC on control of the acquisition and possession of weapons."

Either your mate is providing you with misinformation, or your mate's FEO is providing it to him. There is no law, diktat or proviso in the UK, either current or pending, which would necessitate the general surrender of certain semi-automatic firearms to the police.

If Sussex are trying to impose such restrictions (which I seriously doubt), then they would be brought to book very swiftly indeed.

Edited by A.J.P.

My mate has been told that he has to hand his 10 shot semi auto .22 in as the law has changed.

Do you mean a semi - auto .22 rimfire rifle that holds a ten shot magazine? If so your mate has been very badly and seriously misinformed. Don't wish to appear to be rude but as other have written this is absolutely BS

Right, so if this was even remotely true. Which it certainly isn't. Why wouldn't your mate with the semi auto with +10 shot capacity just use a lower capacity magazine? Why would his feo need him to surrender the rifle? This is total bs.

Read the article on page 8 of sporting rifle,it all hinges on Europe I think, spoke to the head of Sussex firearms licencing dept today and his exact words to me were " if you are putting a variation in for a .22 I would not bother with a semi auto because you may well have to get rid of it , go for a bolt action"

I am only telling you guys what he said to me today over the phone so please don't shoot the messanger.

Cheers