Goodbye

Glenlivet

Took my little long legged Jack Russel, Skipper, to the vet this morning to be put down. 15 years old, I think he had a stroke a couple of days ago. He seemed to be back to normal yesterday but it was obvious this morning that things weren't right. Buried him in the garden with his collar on. He had a good life but it was time to go.

'night Skippy....

Edited by Glenlivet

I have had to help my Border into the Landrover for around a year now, and it has got to the stage where she is now reluctant to jump out also, so I lift her out. She is 12 this year and otherwise as fit as a fiddle, but it makes me sad to think of her ageing like this.

I truly feel for you; not a pleasant time. It comes to us all I'm afraid and you just have to console yourself with the good times you gave him while he was here.

There is another Border a few doors away; he sits in the house all day and gets to walk around on a lead twice a day, whereas mine is ratching through hedgerows, chasing rats, rabbits, pheasants and all manner of wildlife, having a great old time. She comes back to me panting like a steam train with a wagging tail looking pleased as punch with herself.

Not many dogs get to enjoy themselves like the dogs of shooters. Your dog will have had a grand old time.

I have had to help my Border into the Landrover for around a year now, and it has got to the stage where she is now reluctant to jump out also, so I lift her out. She is 12 this year and otherwise as fit as a fiddle, but it makes me sad to think of her ageing like this.

I truly feel for you; not a pleasant time. It comes to us all I'm afraid and you just have to console yourself with the good times you gave him while he was here.

There is another Border a few doors away; he sits in the house all day and gets to walk around on a lead twice a day, whereas mine is ratching through hedgerows, chasing rats, rabbits, pheasants and all manner of wildlife, having a great old time. She comes back to me panting like a steam train with a wagging tail looking pleased as punch with herself.

Not many dogs get to enjoy themselves like the dogs of shooters. Your dog will have had a grand old time.

In some ways I was lucky in that the "when" decision was really made for me, it was obviously time. Sad but he had a great life, never happier than when we were sailing. He loved the dinghy ride to the shore, standing in the prow waiting to get close enough to jump out and swim the last bit.

Sorry for your families loss mate.

If the right dog pops up tomorrow,it's not rushing it or being disloyal in my opinion.

Thanks. It's not really a feeling of disloyalty, I just want to make the right choice. Let's face it, 15 years is longer than many marriages last!