Fox cubs

They must be migrants that's got in.

:lol: I used to live up North it happens all the time.

Seriously it amazes me that one min there is an empty den and next its full and just as quick its empty again. There are a lot of holes on one of my farms for badgers fox and rabbit and it seems to me that occupants change all the time?

oh for the good old days tuck yourself away and wait for the vixen give her a lead pill and then send a terrier in to bring out the cubs job done or dig to old for that now just wait for the cubs to come out befor they grow into big foxes deal with them

Sat out 60 yards from the earth, cold North easterly blowing and it was cold.

Have the home bru add on, which is very good.

Saw the dog fox coming with a rabbit, switched scope on(didn't need the I.r ) and got set to shoot at 70 yards when lost all picture, by the time I had realised a leaf was over scope it had gone.

Sat another hour and watched Cubs come out but left them, I know where they are and wouldn't if I shot a cub she would shift them overnight.( been there done that, got the bollicking of the keeper)

Walked round a couple of woods this afternoon, no sign of,,,,, well anything really, fox wise anyway. Loads of muntjac slots and badger prints but nothing foxy. Either I've done a bloody good job or they are rather illusive.

Or some one needs to go to specsavers😉😉

Just been out for last hour, they lifted the sugar beet today so I could drive down and sit warm and comfortable.

Dog fox came out 15 muinits later and 70 yards perfect for the 17 and one less.

Sat till dark watching rabbits playing about then 2 Cubs came out of wood but went strait back in.

Don't think same litter, these looked bigger and was much further than the earth I watched 3 nights ago.

Back tomorrow night, wife says I'm barmy could be right?

• 2 weeks later...

Having just seen a cub dead beside the A47 near Acle it occurred to me this is something you very rarely see - is it simply because vixen keeps well away from roads? Even so you might expect a few more dead on roadside.

I see quite a few small cubs run over locally, I think it is mainly because the vixens often seem to cub in the small roadside pits (old chalk quarries) that are common over here. Usually they are full of old junk so perfect for a fox family.

• 2 weeks later...

Out stalking Sunday afternoon with the .222 into the evening after a Muntie, just before dusk a good sized male cub come straight up the ride with a moorhen chick, that was its last meal.

No signs of fox activity anywhere else no laid grass or droppings, male Cubs do seem to push out the boundaries more than the females, must be a man thing

For the age of the Cubs they are very switched on when weaned, I recently watched a whole family Mr, Mrs a vixen follower and three well on Cubs were hunting a neighbours field of freshly cut hay picking up mice and voles in unison in an hour they had caught a good quantity, amazingly they worked like a triangular spearhead equal distances apart and didn't miss a single piece of ground in two large fields

Patrol

Ps managed to grass a lovely muntie Buck as well to finish the day off

Edited by Patrol

Got a milky vixen few nights ago after she had killed 21 chickens, got the dog fox last night, out later looking for the cubs we think they are behind the fence in some solar panels so will take the terrier out and have a look.Last night I watched the dog fox jump through the electric fence 8 strands just before dark then run past two alpacas which were bought to deter the foxes so that was a waste of money.

Alpacas

Waiting out for rabbits with 22 rimmy few weeks ago in a field shared with a dozen alpacas, dog fox comes out from a very thck hedge 200 yds away from me and ten yards from the alpacas and has the usual stretch and a scratch bit of sunbath promptly walked through the middle of the alpacas who didn't turn a hair couldn't care a less about the fox, going on what they say alpacas are up for giving the fox a set to, pretty disappointed

Went back to the exact some place two nights later waiting for the Charlie with .222 , the alpacas are right up the other end of the valley, out pops mr Reynard does his usual stretch routine and has a sit down and wallop he's a goner

Before I could go down to clear up, the alpacas had come straight down the valley straight to the fox and giving it a right old kicking

When I walked down to pick the Carcase up they all just stood around it staring at it, never seen any other animal act like an alpaca, I think they live on a different planet