'The' muntjac buck

Dunkield

i have a german client who would have paid serious money for that

Yes I know some hunters from the continent who would love to see let alone shoot muntjac like this.

I sort of hatched a plan to get them over a while ago but it didn't quite come off, I was kind of relieved in the end as I would have felt a bit pressure to deliver.

Believe it or not there are at least other two bucks way bigger than this one still out there, I can't have guests on my land any more, and I can't afford to have any more mounted for a while so they are being left to pass on their genes for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed, they will never get any bigger if they are all shot - like most roebucks round my way.

CIC believe there is an elusive 78 point (score) muntjac buck out there somewhere it just needs to be found.

I would like to get a really good picture of one of the even bigger bucks just to let them have a look and see what they think.

Yes I know some hunters from the continent who would love to see let alone shoot muntjac like this.

I sort of hatched a plan to get them over a while ago but it didn't quite come off, I was kind of relieved in the end as I would have felt a bit pressure to deliver.

Believe it or not there are at least other two bucks way bigger than this one still out there, I can't have guests on my land any more, and I can't afford to have any more mounted for a while so they are being left to pass on their genes for now.

It's not too bad as we don't offer public stalking trips, just clients of the master who owns the estate.

When I very first started out stalking I was tasked with only managing the muntjac. As that was all o was allowed to shoot I became really obsessed with trying to build

A good gene pool and get the best heads.

Happy times,

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily the last thing the landowner needs is more money, and is very touchy about who is on his land, let alone shooting on it.

I was out again at the weekend shot a couple more muntjac, both bucks as it turned out, the first wasn't anything to write home about but this one was pretty chunky.

IMAG3533.jpg

I have never had any luck (that I know of) calling muntjac.

One did appear once, but I remain unconvinced I called it, more coincidence.

I tried to bring one closer yesterday afternoon whilst watching it through the scope and it just wondered off.

Many people tell me the buttolo works well for this, but either I am doing it wrong or it just doesn't on my patch :hmm: