Decided to stop shooting live quarry

deershooter

I have decided that shooting live quarry is not for me I have shot and eaten just about every thing going over the last 25 years . Now I am just about to loose my father he lies on his death bed after a stroke with no hope of recovery and has never killed a thing in his life . We the family have had to make the decision to withdraw support and just let nature take its cause . This is the hardest dission I have had to make in my life .

Dad tourght me every thing I know he was a extraordinarily gifted engineer it didn't matter weather it was building ,wood work ,metalwork ,electrics or any thing else he was so good at it . I lived at home for 43 years and worked along side him for 23 years full time in our own engineering firm . He designed lighting towers generators and even made his own CNC milling machine in cluding the computer that ran it . I'm so sad he just didn't have more time to spend with my nieces , his grand daughters thank you dad for every thing you did for me I wouldn't be the man I am today without you . My life is falling apart but will be rebuilt .

I will have a .223 Ruger, .2505 Remington ,308 Remington ,.22 cz453 , ..410 shot pistol all which will be put up for sale as soon as I get my head straight and get over the loss of my mentor and best friend .

All the best Dad thinking of you every day

Your broken hearted son Dean xx

I have decided that shooting live quarry is not for me I have shot and eaten just about every thing going over the last 25 years . Now I am just about to loose my father he lies on his death bed after a stroke with no hope of recovery and has never killed a thing in his life . We the family have had to make the decision to withdraw support and just let nature take its cause . This is the hardest dission I have had to make in my life .

Dad tourght me every thing I know he was a extraordinarily gifted engineer it didn't matter weather it was building ,wood work ,metalwork ,electrics or any thing else he was so good at it . I lived at home for 43 years and worked along side him for 23 years full time in our own engineering firm . He designed lighting towers generators and even made his own CNC milling machine in cluding the computer that ran it . I'm so sad he just didn't have more time to spend with my nieces , his grand daughters thank you dad for every thing you tourght me I wouldn't be the man I am today without you . My life is falling apart but will be rebuilt .

I will have a .223 Ruger, .2505 Remington ,308 Remington ,.22 cz453 , ..410 shot pistol all which will be put up for sale as soon as I get my head straight and get over the loss of my mentor and best friend .

All the best Dad thinking of you every day

Your broken hearted son Dean xx

Edited by deershooter

Loosing your dad is a tough one, I lost mine a couple of years back, he also taught me all I know about the countryside. There are no words that will take the pain away and we all deal with things differently but time will always help, eventually you will learn to smile with his memories, I often smile with my old man in my thoughts but he had dementia and had a pretty miserable end but now I remember the man I knew when he had better health. The day before his funeral I shot two boar, he would have smiled at that, when he was shooting there were no boar in our locality.

Lost dad 4 years ago the big C ,totally get where your coming from ,told myself il not go fishing till he got better 12 weeks gone .Not picked a rod up since ,it does get easier over time not better just easier atb and enjoy your good memories

so sorry to hear your news, I lost my father 12 years ago to exactly the same thing, he was my fishing partner,my shooting partner but most importantly my best mate, my mother divorced him when I was only 6 and took my two sisters with her, dad would not let me go so ended up bringing me up on his own, he also taught me everything and he was also an engineer , your story is nearly the same,

I now get my strength from fishing and shooting because I know he would still be proud of me for being law abiding and carrying on with the hobbies he taught me, I have even continued with his perms ,

it will be painful but be strong for those around you as I,m sure your father would be very proud of you if you did, give him as much time as possible because at this hard time it is when he will need you most,

keep your chin up Dean and my thoughts are truly with you and yours at this sad time mate

best wishes to all of you in this sad time

Evo

It's very distressing loosing someone close. We are in the throws of loosing someone presently. I was a long way from close to my parents and to have had what you had your blessed

Everything has a bigging a middle and am end though

Just hold onto your eagerness to pack in a few months or more. What are you going to do instead play golf?!

I think we all hit a time when we have less desire for killing- just understand your dad passing and your shooting are not linked in anything but grief

I get different feelings about killing quarry these days and we all do as we age and most regret how blood thirsty they might once have been in the past

My dad was always against me killing things, When we used to go fishing at a early age but everything went back, only when we went sea fishing did he ever take any thing for the pot and then only enough for tea . I'm not packing in totally I will keep the .22 semi auto and my shotguns,it will be clay and range shooting for me from now on .

I don't want too much burden on family if any thing happens to me in the future ,after loosing both legs I don't get out as much as I did in the past any way. No one else in the family holds a FAC so that could pose a problem .

Happy shooting folk hope to see some of you around the clay grounds in a few weeks

Deershooter

Sorry to here about what you are having to go through at the moment .

I am sure deep down your fathers only wish would be that you are happy , for that reason I would not rush into anything .

As you say yourself you need to sort your head out so perhaps the time for this decision is further down the road

Best wishes in whatever you decide .

very sorry to hear this fella. never easy losing someone and it always makes you think long and hard about your own life.

your a nice chap, and always informative and helpful with your posts, so please accept my sincerest condolences.

i'm sure you have put a fair amount of thought in to your decision so will not try and suggest you think about it anymore, but if I could make 1 suggestion, keep the .223 as well as the .22 semi (for target shooting)

You are going through the mill at this moment in time, i lost my DAD two years ago, its not eassy. :unhappy:

Regarding packing up shooting, act in haste repent at leasure is an old saying dont do anyting rash, your emotions and inner most thoughts are all over the place at the moment obviously.

You have more than enough to be going on with at the moment. Then when the dust settles you have a lot of thinking to do plan your next move and its at this time if you dont mind me saying you should be looking at how you feel then about shooting things, Now is not a good time for this you have enough on your plate right now.

All the best mister.

You are going through the mill at this moment in time, i lost my DAD two years ago, its not eassy. :unhappy:

Regarding packing up shooting, act in haste repent at leasure is an old saying dont do anyting rash, your emotions and inner most thoughts are all over the place at the moment obviously.

You have more than enough to be going on with at the moment. Then when the dust settles you have a lot of thinking to do plan your next move and its at this time if you dont mind me saying you should be looking at how you feel then about shooting things, Now is not a good time for this you have enough on your plate right now.

All the best mister.

Thanks but my mind is made up on the killing issue , dads favourite quote was about the mill of life ! it was a little saying that he had ,on talking about youngsters he always said " he has not bin through the mill yet " and I suppose this is another chapter of the "mill " I have to face

Thanks lads

All the best mister.

Condolences, but I agree with Tony. Give it 6 months before you make a decision. If you haven't shot anything in that time and you haven't missed it then you can have more confidence you are not going to miss it in the future.

Guest stevo

chin up dean , i will catch up with you at orston in the next few weeks mate .we can have some UT ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but dont expect me to go easy on ya :-)

all the best mate

stevo