Steel proof?

Glenlivet

I think that is SP under a crown which is a Birmingham mark for heavier loads

The only proof mark like this I've been able to find were for dates 1868-1925 for special black powder. My gun would be Japanese circa 1983, pre steel shot? But it does look like a fleur de lys.....

Edited by Glenlivet

It appears this gun was proofed in 1980 for heavy (magnum) loads of lead only! SP under a crown is the Birmingham mark for special definitive proof, the gun was proofed under the 1954 rules of proof (the rules of proof and proof marks changed in 1989)

So no it is not proofed for HP steel shot!

Edited by panoma1

I don't think you can steel proof a gun unless it has been materialy changed eg lengthening the chamber

If it is sound in all respects then personally I should use it anyhow with half choke max

But it's your risk and your assessment no well used gun would I rely on as being safe because it held a proof mark. In fact I have known very unsafe ones with brand new proof marks

Many of us use old magnums with steel

It appears this gun was proofed in 1980 for heavy (magnum) loads of lead only! SP under a crown is the Birmingham mark for special definitive proof, the gun was proofed under the 1954 rules of proof (the rules of proof and proof marks changed in 1989)

So no it is not proofed for HP steel shot!

Great info, thanks. The proof date ties in well.

I don't think you can steel proof a gun unless it has been materialy changed eg lengthening the chamber

If it is sound in all respects then personally I should use it anyhow with half choke max

But it's your risk and your assessment no well used gun would I rely on as being safe because it held a proof mark. In fact I have known very unsafe ones with brand new proof marks

Many of us use old magnums with steel

Sounds good. The gun is pretty lightly used and has strange external multi chokes so I'll probably give it a go on normal steel if I can get 2 3/4" cartridges.

KFCs have hard chrome barrels I would run it with steel. My youngest lad 12 year old Has a Jap Browning A5 magnum with similar proofing marks but 3 inch, now sami pressures for 3 inch and 2.75 inch are exactly the same . Add to this Browning USA claim the Jap A5s Kogyo howa Barrels are fine for steel, i would not be at all suprised if KFC used Kogyo howa barrels too, along with the SKBs and Diawa jap A5 clones. Me i would run it no hesitation. :good:

Edited by TONY R

KFCs have hard chrome barrels I would run it with steel. My youngest lad 12 year old Has a Jap Browning A5 magnum with similar proofing marks but 3 inch, now sami pressures for 3 inch and 2.75 inch are exactly the same . Add to this Browning USA claim the Jap A5s Kogyo howa Barrels are fine for steel, i would not be at all suprised if KFC used Kogyo howa barrels too, along with the SKBs and Diawa jap A5 clones. Me i would run it no hesitation. :good:

I'm impressed. I didn't imagine anyone else would have heard of this gun. The police computer certainly hasn't. I'll give it a go, should only be a few rounds anyway.

But it's were that pressure is produced within the chamber

But it's were that pressure is produced within the chamber